Three Witches | a SHAEF WW2 Operation?

vhaeren

I recently started to research my fathers archives from WW2. These files include references to an operation called Three Witches. From what I can find out, this operation had its own badge (see attached). On the site http://www.mi9-is9.com/ you will find some related information. This however is pretty much everything you will find in the public domain!

The operation involved flight squadrons (RAF Mosquito's, later RCAF Austers) making radio contact with S-phone operators such as my father to get 'real time' information about enemy positions to direct artillery fire or obtain information about escapers and evaders. This operation was active between December 1944 and May 1945.

It is suggested by some that this was an operation run by the british MI9/IS9-WEA. Certainly they were involved, however it seems more likely to me that the operation was sponsored by the military. I wonder therefore if it might have been initiated by SHAEF in an effort to coordinate and share valuable 'real time' intelligence. If that theory is correct, perhaps there is a SHAEF document proving that.

I would really not know where to start researching the SHAEF files, so if anyone could give me suggestions (or disprove my theory!), I would be very obliged.

Thanks in advance,

Victorpost-162985-0-64093900-1466452714.jpg

Thanks, certainly an interesting item but seems unrelated to this operation.

I can add that in 1945, the operation was disbanded by maj. A. Neave, who headed MI9 (see document). I hope to find the document that actually initiated the operation and what it's stated goal was. Needle in haystack perhaps, but I haven't given up yet!

Any lead, suggestion as to where I might look, or anyone who was once involved or served in that operation is welcome!post-162985-0-67179900-1466490604.jpg

You can find information regarding this unit on the British And Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. Search the word Witches and you will pull up several threads. It was as you say an MI9 operation involved with escape, evasion and Dutch resistance.

Thanks for the tip.

I came across these threads before. It confirms the MI9/IS9 involvement and dutch agents such as my father.

What puzzles me however is:

- It was not common - as far as I know- for the british intelligence services to display openly with badges etc any of their operations. It would make it much too easy to uncover the operation

- The MI9 was not a very big service, nor did they have large budgets. Certainly not to mobilize or finance entire flight squadrons (first RAF, later RCAF).

- in terms of lines of command: the intelligence services had no authority over the army and vice versa. Both reported independently to the War Counsel as far as I know. Yet they co-operated under this 3 witches logo.

- the recon operation was actually called Operation Blackmail as far as i know, and did not involve any badge that were worn on uniforms.

Combined it seem so unlike that 3 Witches was an MI9 sponsored operation. Or am I missing something?