PASGT question regarding suspension type and cover

pawtwo

Hello,

In late 90s there was change in PASGT helmet suspension system including wider headband and addition of velcro to suspension and headband. Also suspension band that supports headband became much wider.

I found that also length of "fastening tapes" on camouflage cover changed the same time and these became longer to accomodate to newer suspension system.

And the question is:

Was this propper to use newer style camouflage covers with longer tapes along with old style suspension helmet? For example when you have old style helmet in M size and newer style M/L cover there is some slight problem with keeping cover in place tigthly at the bottom because these tapes are bit too long. It's ok with old style cover.

Was it even possible to fit old style cover with newer style suspension (wider headband, shorter tapes)?

Or - in military nobody cares about how these things fit together if they work anyway.

Also what was purpose of velcro inside headband? This was only for extra padding or to attach someting inside? Could you attach helmet cover's velcros in some way there if they didn't fit properly around suspension (tapes too short or too long)?

Regards

Paul

It did not matter you used what you had. I got a new wider sweatband and used it with original style suspension. The velcro on inside of sweatband was for extra padding but you could fix the end of camo cover strap to that velcro instead of the tab on the cover. If you had a cover with longer straps and old suspension you just had to make it work.

Hope that helps

Allen

Thanks for your reply ;)

Probably, to be time correct I will change my PASGT's cover but it's not always possible to get all time correct parts at once ;)

Paul

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I have an older cover with a newer suspension, the velco on the cover it attached to the velcro of the suspension. I want to know what year the newer headband was introdcued.

Maybe these were refitted later. My '87 UNICOR came with old style suspension and '98 looking nearly like new cover. Also chinstrap tabs that are attached to shell were in old style nylon colour and chincup itself was newer. It didn't matter to me as I wanted to clean it up and put there complete new original suspension system from 80s period (these are quite easily available here in Poland).

Probably someome put it together from different parts. I'm still searching for some parts from 80s to complete it to be period correct.

Also I found new '87 cover that in fact fits much loosier than this '98 one that was on my helmet. It's just too deep one inch or ever more. It has DRMO stamp inside. Maybe it was just that badly sewn. or in fact is in other size than is written on it's label.