PASGT/M1 80's era helmet band

pawtwo

Hello,

I found some info that there was 2 types of elastic helmet bands used with PASGT helmet and woodland cover. Both had cat eyes on them and one was OD-7 and second one was CG483. Also found that the previous was used with M1 and second only with PASGT.

I have few of that bands marked "BAND, HELMET, CAMOUFLAGE, US". Depending on the light used (outdoors, artificial light or flash) their colour varies from gray to dark green. These looks quite old as luminous tape tends to turn a little yellowish. One I found with M1 helmet and ERDL cover, but probably it was put together from different parts.

Anyway I cannot completely figure out if I have newer or older style helmet bands. I consider older style as a band that you can use for 80s and early 90s and newer as a band that would be proper for lat 90s and early 2000s.

When I look at photographs I still cannot figure it out because usually bands on soldier's helmets are worn/faded or just dirty so they even tend to look brown.

Below, I added some photo of me wearing PASGT helmet with band that I use. Helmet's chinstrap is for sure CG483.

post-162935-0-92948800-1466408998.jpg

the weave of the material will be different, the CG483 I believe should have the weave you see on the right in this picture, left is a vietnam era. the og107 cat eyes is going to have a slightly different weave as well.

post-125364-0-39721100-1466414350.jpg

Is there any possibility to distingush them by the markings?

Some are marked "Band, helmet, camouflage US"

While others in green "Band, helmet, CL-1, USXX" (XX for year or lot number).

That would be logical that these marked just Band, Helmet, Camouflage US were made in times when there was just one colour of the band - earlier, and those produced later for PASGT that could be also in tan or foilage would have colur information printed on them (CL-1 for CG-483). But it's only my prediction.

Regards Paul.

I believe the ones marked "Band helmet camouflage US" are the "Vietnam era" bands without cat eyes and some of the early cat eyes bands. I'm not sure on markings, someone else might chime in on that but the material should be a give away. 80's cat eyes bands should be very similar material to vietnam bands and the others would be much different.

Thanks,

Tommorow I'll probably have a chance to make some comparisons on local military show.

Best Regards

Paul