M2 Jungle First Aid Kit

Fixbayonets!

6 hours ago, usmc grunt said:

Survival is spot on with regard to the fact that WWII era M-2 First Aid Kits contained, and were issued with 16, not 12, stick bands. Note that while the attached image of the M-2 content list from the Med 6 Medical Supply Catalog dated 1944 does not show the unit of measure and quantity for the stick bands, 9200000, in the last two columns, the number "16" is clearly see at the end of the description. Now, note that the number "100" appears in the same location for the bottle of Halazone - which contains "100 tablets". I believe that the "3 Bandages" was printed in error. As Survival correctly noted, the M-2 was issued with 16 bandages. If you received an M-2 with 12, then someone, at some point, removed 4 from the kit. 

9710900.jpg.85e358746c489851e21f4c270cef07ac.jpg.

You are incorrect on almost all accounts. As per specification for the M-2 medical kit it was originally cited to be provided with three gauze bandages. In November 1944 it was revised to a count of 12 bandages. The original spec for contractors for the components were March 1944. the "16" you are seeing at the end of the nomenclature is the catalog citation for the Box with bandages under said stock number and those have a count of 16 bandages. You could not requisition individual 1-inch by 3-inch bandages, but boxes of 16 only. Only three were to be removed and placed in kit. So, it is not a typo. This March 1944 med supply listing is as originally spec'd out to be having three bandages.

Note this box having "SIXTEEN" in upper left corner. The stock number is 9200100 because it is the updated type with "Field Brown". older produced types as in the catalog will be 9200000. The November specification has the revised bandages with Field Brown and stock number 9200100. If you want a 1943 or 1944 packed M-2 having three bandages are correct, having a post Novemebr1944 kit you would have 12 bandages.

gauze.jpg.4d3e3e6dbee1165adcbb5dd8aee61b46.jpg

Actually while all the unissued kits I had did contain 16 bandaids the list above is a little misleading.  I believe what it is saying is item 9200000 adhesive bandages comes in a box of 16  and that the M-2 Jungle kit only has three of those included.  If you look at the entry for atabrine its a similar description.  The item 1084500 atabrine comes in a bottle of 100 tablets however only 30 of those are included in the M-2 kit.

That is an interesting observation, by the time you get to 12 just as easy to slap the whole 16 in there. 

Here is the entry for the original specification. Also note below the entry for the atabrine in line with Survivals' comment.

1733695097_M-21(11).jpg.8f55b77a147942a69e7739c05953cd9d.jpg

1798103324_M-21(13).jpg.13f1ac24b5cf090b968e68f55e11f96c.jpg

Here is the later revised listing. Each are quite clear the quantity of bandages to be included. However, not all things go by the book as illustrated by NOS kits.

1047498611_M-21(2).jpg.b259cd5201a702793d869e100c3958db.jpg

1137737866_M-21(4).jpg.660871f00d484bad57157461f4a8fc4c.jpg

There has been discussion on the Halazone, note the nomenclature used.  There are bottles that use "halazone" and "water purification" and stock number

Here are the entries for the water purification tablets, pretty much read the same. Abbot Laboratories is cited but says "or other approved". So, I do not think there is one correct type

1840034752_M-21(12).jpg.8109d678e32eea739c71fa0611e4ca5f.jpg

1202914061_M-21(3).jpg.46fd9345fd36e07ff124dca0a1724f41.jpg

16 hours ago, dustin said:
16 hours ago, dustin said:

You are incorrect on almost all accounts. As per specification for the M-2 medical kit it was originally cited to be provided with three gauze bandages. In November 1944 it was revised to a count of 12 bandages. The original spec for contractors for the components were March 1944. the "16" you are seeing at the end of the nomenclature is the catalog citation for the Box with bandages under said stock number and those have a count of 16 bandages. If you want a 1943 or 1944 packed M-2 having three bandages are correct, having a post November1944 kit you would have 12 bandages.

I wasn't aware of the specification changes you've posted above. My affirmation of Survival's statement of 16 adhesive bandages in a NOS M-2 kit was based on a 1945 dated NOS M-2 kit that I obtained directly from a WWII era USMC veteran that had 16 J&J Zo bandages. This kit was not part of the lot that was being sold on eBay as referenced above. The bottles in this kit have the original seal at the cap and the vial contains 30 atabrine tablets. Since this kit was not part of the lot referenced above, it did confirm, at least for me, that there were, in fact, M-2 kits that were issued with 16 stick bands. 

On 6/20/2016 at 11:24 PM, Survival said:

Anyway everyone of those kits I have came with 16 of the stickband bandaids not three or twelve. MSA brand would also be good but make sure they have the plain pad. Johnson and Johnson ZO brand also good.

According to my research, all of the manufacturers in the attached photo of this lot of 1-inch adhesive bandages provided medical supplies to the US military during WWII. Question: Which of the bandages in this lot are correct for the M-2? 

Verticals, Top Row, left to right
The American White Cross Laboratories, Inc. (Example 1)

The Bay Division, Parke Davis & Company

Davis Emergency Equipment Company, Inc.

Johnson & Johnson

Verticals, Bottom Row, left to right
Medical Supply Company
Mine Safety Appliances Company (Example 1)
Mine Safety Appliances Company (Example 2)

The Seamless Rubber Company

Horizontals, top to bottom

A.E. Halperin Company, Inc.

The American White Cross Laboratories, Inc. (Example 2)

The American White Cross Laboratories, Inc. (Example 3)

Mine Safety Appliances Company (Example 3)

Mine Safety Appliances Company (Example 4)

Stafford Laboratories

M-2 FAK Adhesive Bandages, 1 In. WWII 008.jpg

I think clearly those M-2 NOS kits that came on the market were of a late war assembly or contract. So, no surprise they have 12-16 bandages. I think too much has been extrapolated from one supply catalog entry and only a limited amount of NOS kits from one single source (contractor). We must expand our thinking here. Contractors would have been sent an approved list of suppliers making for any variable used as Government approved materials. If all those bandages were indeed under government contract, then there is a probability of them being used at sometime during assembly of all M-2 production but maybe not all and we will probably never know the full details.  The contactors we see on the canvas container was for that item only, an assembly contractor would have been different as stamped on the container. I'm curious to know how many assembly contractors in total there were. The more assembly contractors would mean a diversified volume of bandage brands requisitioned. 

In my opinion and as long as you have a confirmed WWII procured type it would be correct for the M-2 kit. Those procured by the USMD.

In the image above I see four variants of the MSA type, which leads me to believe that this illustration is not wholly accurate for WWII representation. The one WWII type I know of is second from bottom in horizontal row.

I'd say the same for three variants of the White Cross, questionable all are of the era. Out of the lot I only see maybe seven that are WWII.

Top row vertical I believe all are good.

Bottom row vertical.  MSCO I think is good, middle two MSA I am pretty sure are post war.  Stickband looks good to me.

Horizontal row  

Halco probably OK

White Cross clear band  Don't think that was used by the military

White Cross Emergency bandage  Maybe

Blue strip MSA  Pretty sure that is post war

MSA  That version probably OK

Stafford   Not sure.   I've always thought of them as post war but if they had contracts could be.  They seem to be affiliated with a company called Handy Pad somehow which did make some early war vehicle kits.

1 hour ago, dustin said:

Out of the lot I only see maybe seven that are WWII.

Dustin, While it is true that these adhesive bandage manufacturers provided medical supplies for the military during WWII, I'm not asserting that the entire lot is correct as military issue for WWII. I'm asking which ones are correct for WWII military issue so that I can separate them from those that are not. On another note, I found another A.E. Halperin bandage that is different from the one in the lot I initially posted. Having said that, I have two questions: 1.) which seven do you see as WWII military issue? 2.) Is this A.E. Halperin a US military WWII issue? 

A.E. HALPERIN, Adhesive Bandage, 1 Inch 09.jpg

I'm really in line with Survival and most confident of the verticals not erased, and the remaining horizontals a maybe. The MSA bandage can be found in early medical kits.

bandges.jpg.651083ab375d0d3cb62c5d7bbd9fc31c.jpg

It looks like Dustin is correct on the 12 count in later kits.  And apparently were in 3 the earlier kits. Mine must be odd balls or someone added a few extra during production....

On 12/22/2021 at 12:35 PM, Survival said:

Does anyone else have photos of other WWII era adhesive bandages that were in the M-2 kit that you can post?

What's been posted is a really good start and there probably isn't too many more left out. You've asked several times "were in the M-2 kit" and I do not think you are really going to get a specific answer particular to the M-2 since very few unmolested kits are out there for a definitive illustration. All we can do is point out WWII era contract types then it would be your choice what to apply to your M-2. You also have to consider that the containers were filled at medical depots upon the initial procurements (1943) until the kit was eventually contracted as a Complete unit and delivered fully assembled. Also, available empty from stock. Then technically you need two types, early and late packing. With that said, there is no "one" specific brand.

Read slowly and digest the verbiage used here.

200237960_containerM-21(10).jpg.f87b9154352d4e02b0828364df042ca0.jpg

I would suggest studying kits such as the vehicle units to get an idea of contractor types for the compresses, as they are contained in there.

To add another variable would be a type produced by Burrows & Wellcome, they had contracts for the assembly of vehicle and aeronautic kits in which they provided their commercial brand type. Seen here. You have to operate under general guidelines rather than a hard rule. I think where your investigation should lean towards is finding out who specifically were awarded contracts for the complete assembly, that may cycle back towards your specific question. Often in research you have to jump down other rabbit holes and may be surprised more often than not where information percolates up.

burrows.jpg.e6f4f43819a095b401828b36c5dd882f.jpg

8 hours ago, usmc grunt said:

You can't go wrong if you use the Johnson & Johnson ZO 1" x  3" adhesive Compresses.  Probably about the most common used.  Stickbands, Bays, or Davis would probably work just fine also.

I'm going to expand some on Dustin's remark about the vehicular kits and their contents. Here is a 1944-45 24 unit packaged by Elizabeth Arden. I opened this sealed cardboard box myself in about 1995. Notice the variety of labels.

ea1.jpg

ea2.jpg

Now for the 1" x 3" bandages. The box clearly states "Assembled and Packaged by Elizabeth Arden". However thee bandages themselves are made by Bauer and Black.

ea3.jpg

ea4.jpg

I obtained the photo of the 5 White Cross Stik-Tite adhesive bandages on green background from the WWII US Medical Research Centre website. Ben Major of the WWII US Medical Centre affirms that these White Cross Stik-Tite adhesive bandages are WWII era. I have a total of 31 that are 3/4" x 3". I've never seen one that is 1" x 3".

AMERICAN WHITE CROSS LABS.jpg

WHITE CROSS, Stik-Tite, .75 Inch 01.jpg

WHITE CROSS, Stik-Tite, .75 Inch 02.jpg

2 hours ago, robinb said:

Since they do not conform to the 1" x 3" specifications I would disqualify them as being ww2 issue. 

This is correct. Ben has affirmed that the WWII era White Cross Stik-Tite (photo with green background) are 1" x 3" and are packaged in a box of 16. The 3/4" x 1" that I have are post WWII, 1950's vintage. Interestingly, the bandage packaging is identical. 

• 11 months later...

An entire field of collecting & study!!! I have an accurate authentic Vehicle 1st aid kit & Jungle 1st aid kit for various historical & car show displays, but the Vehicle 1st aid kits riding in my WW2/Korean War GPW & M38 jeeps are in original boxes with up to date stuff,  for road trips & trail rides... same with the fire extinguisher 

The Jungle 1st aid kits were issued into the Vietnam War.