Jumbo WWII insulated food container? unknown need input

hbtcoveralls

hbtcoveralls

At at flea market in Northeast GA today a dealer had three of these large containers. They resemble the M1941 insulated food container but are approximately 3 times as large and are 36" or so tall and about 24" inside diameter with thick insulated walls. They have two handles on each side. All three were marked on the bottom with different manufacturers and dated 42 and 43. The one photographed is NESCO 42 and also 18 (might be the volume in gallons?). The interiors are not lined and show some rust, the lids appear to be home made and not like they are the originals. I've been collecting WWII for decades and never seen anything like these. Does anyone have any idea?

Tom Bowers

post-2138-0-28170800-1466299821.jpg

post-2138-0-22505100-1466299836.jpg

If you have the QM 3-4 Supply Catalog go to page 81. It's a 64-C-208 Can, Fermentation, Dough, Insulated. Goes with the Army Field Bake Oven #1.

hbtcoveralls

That is fantastic. I don't have that QM manual on my shelf so I didn't recognize it. Is that the correct lid?

Tom Bowers

hbtcoveralls

The picture in the manual isn't that clear, but I think that lid is correct for it.

Thank you much. Odd that that manual isn't on line anywhere, I appreciate you're looking it up for me

Tom Bowers