WW2 US Navy Nurse Grouping ID'd to Mary Lance

Adrian6256

Hey guys,

I recently picked up this US Navy nurse grouping from an estate sale in Texas. It has her footlocker, and a complete nurses uniform. The dress and belt are named and have her laundry number. This is the first navy nurse grouping I have been able to own. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me if any of these pieces are not USN. Im not sure if she was a nurse after the military, so its entirely possible that some of this is non military related. I also would like to know where she was stationed during the war. Thanks, and I hope you guys enjoy this grouping.

Adrian

post-158668-0-72816400-1466227337.jpg

post-158668-0-49229500-1466227346.jpg

post-158668-0-71202600-1466227354.jpg

post-158668-0-91744100-1466227400.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have just receive a White Outdoor uniform from her !

You've got a very nice grouping !

This is a link for more informations about herself : http://www.donaldsonodenton.com/notices/Mary-Bradley

Congratulations !

Caroline.

Hello, Thank you for the information of her service. I would love to see a picture of her other uniform. Thanks again!

Adrian

I also would like to know where she was stationed during the war. Thanks, and I hope you guys enjoy this grouping.

I know this is an older post that got bumped but if you're still wondering I found something that might help. She is listed as a passenger on the USS Republic in July 1944 along with a bunch of other nurses. It doesn't specifically say where they were picked up but there are some other officers listed at the same time period. All of these other officers were received from various field hospitals in New Caledonia. From some of the patients picked up for transport at that time it appears they were headed to San Francisco. My best guess is that she was stationed in New Caledonia at a field hospital and in July 1944 she returned to the States.

There are also some navy newspaper articles from later (1950's) that show her at a hospital in Guam and another in Florida.

Hi,

(sorry for the bad quality), this is the white outdoor uniform (not her shoulder braids)

15871935_10211156914773758_4898163326809

Is it possible to you to send me yours pictures of herself for my personnal archives please ?

Caroline

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Adrian, I don't know if you are still on this forum as I haven't seen any recent posts. I have three of Mary Lance's uniforms, one long-sleeved duty dress that I acquired in 2014, one dress blue service jacket from the WWII era and one dress blue service jacket from post-WWII along with some of her ribbons. Looking at your pictures of the original grouping I can tell you that the nurse's cap is NOT a Navy cap although the velvet LTjg rank band is from a Navy nurse cap. The short-sleeved dress is also most likely post WWII. The collar device on the right collar is military but the nurse corps device which should have been on the left collar is missing. Both pictures of her in a nurses uniform appear to be civilian nurses uniforms.

I would love to know if you have found any more about her history. Thanks! 

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post, but acquired one of her service dress blues uniforms (late WWII with lieutenant stripes). I'm not sure if it is the one referenced in the previous post, or another one.

Follows is a photograph of the jacket on the USS North Carolina from late 2019.

IMG_9742.jpeg

David, you must have picked up another of her WWII era SDB uniforms. I still have mine and her post WWII jacket. I posted pictures recently on the Female Militaria Collectors site. Did you also get a skirt? 

David, you must have picked up another of her WWII era SDB uniforms. I still have mine and her post WWII jacket. I posted pictures recently on the Female Militaria Collectors site. Did you also get a skirt? 

No, all I have is her jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk