What do I have? W.R.C.-G.A.R. Convention Badge 1905

McDermut99

I saw this badge(?) at an estate sale and the price was low enough I decided to take a chance on it. I don't collect at all in this field so any input at all about this piece would the greatly appreciated!

post-153059-0-90367400-1466198338.jpg

The GAR or Grand Army of the Republi, was the main organization for Union Civil War Veterans. Confederate veterans usually joined the UCV. The Women's Relief Corps (WRC) was the auxillary arm of the GAR. The badge was worn by a woman who attended the convention in Oklahoma.

Interesting piece.

Allan

• 1 month later...

Not specific to the Women's Auxillary, but...

Canteens and Horseshoes: Relics of the Grand Army of the Republic

https://www.amazon.com/Canteens-Horseshoes-Relics-Grand-Republic/dp/1478730110

This thread also list a couple more references for GAR medals/history.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/183035-differences-in-gar-medals-for-civil-war-veterans/

So, when you say "take a chance on it", what do you mean by that?

I saw it at an estate sale for $17.50, and so I bought it. I figured it was worth a bit more than that, and if not, it's still a very interesting piece to have.

I have never seen any Woman's Relief Corp Department of Oklahoma reunion badges. In 1901, the Woman's Relief Corps, Department of Oklahoma, had 37 corps, and 582 members. In 1912, they had 30 corps and 977 members. I doubt that number would substantially increase as the years rolled on. So, there could not have been many of those badges made.

It has been my experience that collectors are interested primarily in items related to the National Encampments, rather than the State Encampments. They are interested in G.A.R. related items, rather than G.A.R. Auxiliary items. That being said, one would think that people from the individual states would be interested in badges from their own Departments, both G.A.R. and its auxiliaries. If one were looking for a market, the best place to sell would be in Oklahoma, specifically near Lawton.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Kevin! I'm not too far from Oklahoma so selling it that way is definitely an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Breyer's assistance was very helpful, more information than I've ever been able to find! But would anyone happen to know of collectors or groups that would have information on this type of medal and/or might be interested in it?

• 6 months later...