Looking for Answer: WWII War Economy Marksmanship Badges

Gerradtgrant

Gerradtgrant

Looking for the era of this marksmanship badge. The back has a good amount of pitting. Can't find any maker marks. Is the pin original to the piece? Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

vintageproductions

WWII vintage.

This type of construction is know as "War Economy" and was used when the majority of the metal was going toward the war effort.

They made pins like this out of lead or some other badges were made out of plastic.

Gerradtgrant

WWII vintage.

This type of construction is know as "War Economy" and was used when the majority of the metal was going toward the war effort.

They made pins like this out of lead or some other badges were made out of plastic.

Makes sense. Thanks for you help

Interesting. I have a similar example, and actually thought it might be German made based on the pin type.

Would this also be a pot metal made example?

post-29885-0-41061500-1466112267.jpg

Gerradtgrant

Interesting. I have a similar example, and actually thought it might be German made based on the pin type. 

Would this also be a pot metal made example?

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif phpVuiTN2PM.jpg

I am not sure. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say. If we can get some more comments.

These are usually called Pot Metal. There were even CIBs, EM AC Wings made of this stuff, a whole bunch of insignia really, both U.S. made and foreign . And believe it not, they are in a great many cases found without their pin attachments present, these break off very easily.

Here's a DI in Pot metal post VE Day made.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/260310-398th-dui-german-made-legit/

Rakkasan187

These pot metal made badges and "War Ecoomy badges" are quite collectible in so far as showing the ingenuity of the makers using what means were available..

Leigh

Gerradtgrant

These are usually called Pot Metal. There were even CIBs, EM AC Wings made of this stuff, a whole bunch of insignia really, both U.S. made and foreign . And believe it not, they are in a great many cases found without their pin attachments present, these break off very easily.

Here's a DI in Pot metal post VE Day made.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/260310-398th-dui-german-made-legit/

Thank You for that. Learning lots of new things daily from knowledge people like you.

Gerradtgrant

These pot metal made badges and "War Ecoomy badges" are quite collectible in so far as showing the ingenuity of the makers using what means were available..

Leigh

Was everyone in that era issued a pot medal made badge? Or did they start producing later after the other medal supplies were depleted?

I believe that the commercial name for this is "Econo-lead." Great example andUS made. The pin is very similar to pieces that I have seen made by Whitehead and Hoag. For the record, I do not think that these were made by them.

Allan

Was everyone in that era issued a pot medal made badge? Or did they start producing later after the other medal supplies were depleted?

I believe these were bought at PXs. But Pot Metal CIBs apparently were among the first to be issued, there was a YANK magazine issue I seen once that had at least one GI write in on the very poor quality of these issue Pot Metal CIBs.