Flashlight

turmanator

Several years ago my dad gave me what he said is a pilots light. Is that an accurate description and what timeframe do you figure? It's got a red lens you can flip.

post-8015-0-44346200-1465993564.jpeg

northcoastaero

The pilot's penlight that you have was probably introduced during the 1960s and replaced the yellow and green plastic ones. I believe it was made by Justrite also. It was replaced (temporary?) by a cheap black and red plastic penlight possibly during the early 1990s and then replaced by a small black aluminum Maglite and/or a black aluminum small Maglite style flashlight, which may still be in use today. The penlight that you have was used by all of the U.S. armed services. You may not want to keep batteries in your aluminum penlight for a long period of time, since they corrode easily.

northcoastaero

Just wanted to add that the USN/USMC Airsave survival vest currently uses the Sidewinder flashlight. Whether a penlight is still being used, may depend on vest configuration for type of aircraft. The Sidewinder replaced the round MX-991/U flashlight. I had a similar penlight, but with a black plastic top/light bulb holder/red twist lens. It may have had a switch on the side. Possibly USAF issue. I have seen another style penlight, but with a flat top/light bulb holder. It may have been 1960s or earlier USN/USMC issue. I have had USAF ejection seat

survival kit lists that mention the use of a physician's penlight. This type of penlight lit when the metal pocket clip was depressed.

• 10 months later...
Flightpath

Hi,

here's the Streamlight Sidewinder with the survival vest, they are a great light, I have two that I use quite often and keep one in the car and one in my back pack.......... they have three LED colours & IR, adjustable brightness and strobe in all modes.

cheers, John

post-105780-0-68879800-1494097635_thumb.jpg