Society of American Officers

ctink1863

Information wanted on the Society of American Officers. This organization was started in 1909 or 1910 in possibly the New York City area.

Society of American Officers

"Founded in 1910. Object: To bring together the officers of the National Guard, Volunteer, and Regular services of the U. S. of A., and to perpetuate the friendships formed during active service. Officers: Gen. William Verbeck, pres.; Lieut.-Col. N. J. Edwards, vice pres.; Maj. Charles E. Warren, treas. ; Capt. F. L. Humphreys, asst. treas. ; Maj. F.G. Langdon, secy., N. Y. City ; Maj. C.H. Eagle, asst. secy., N. Y. City."

SocietyOfAmericanOfficers_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

The more I look at the above membership badge on the left, I realize that the ribbon has been added. Of the two other examples I have seen, none bear this ribbon. And, close examination of the jump ring ends showing misalignment suggests that it has been altered.

With no other information than that, it is my thought that these medals were suspended as represented on the right.

Kevin

Sarge,

Based upon its coloring, I am not sure if it is Blue-Gray, or Blue-White with aging. The inception date is circa 1910, so there would not necessarily be any connection to the U.S. Civil War.

My guess is that for whatever reason the original suspension was removed. Then at some later time someone tried to enhance its appearance and added the ribbon. It's not a bad look. I just don't think that it is correct.

If I were the owner of the badge on the left, I would remove the ribbon. Is an original suspension bar ever going to be found? Probably not. But, that's Life.