Uniform ribbons id help

SmarT

Hello all. I just acquired this ww2 former eagle squadron tunic and I wanted to try and identify the ribbons on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The one below the us pilot wings on the far bottom right is deep purple and white. Thank you.

post-157649-0-17569900-1465783997.jpg

Distinguished Flying Cross - Air Medal

American Campaign - European African Middle Eastern Campaign - British Distinguished Flying Cross

Perfect, thank you! And that's the Presidential Unit Citation under the RAF wings? Also, what do the oak leaves and stars pinned on the ribbons themselves represent?

WittWorldWide.com

The Oak Leaf Clusters are for Additional Awards of the same Decoration, and Stars are for Campaign Participation. (In either of these, Bronze = 1, Silver = 5 )

The campaign ribbons themselves are for being in those Theaters of Operation.

RW

Sure is, thank you! Appreciate the info. Does anyone know if it's possible for me to find out who owned this using the ribbons? There's no writing anywhere and the person I bought it from had no idea. I thought maybe I could narrow using the presidential citations.

CNY Militaria

FYI, the seller who you got this from on eBay puts these together with pieces he buys. 99% of what he sells is fake. (This one above has his tell tale flaws). Search his eBay user name on the forum and there are nine different topics about his sales. I would highly suggest considering a return.

You spent almost $500 on this yet didn't know what the ribbons are.. It's very important to learn about what you are buying before spending significant sums of money. It's one thing to stumble across something you don't know much about at a garage sale and pick it up (if reasonable priced). But, not Ebay. Ebay is the best place to buy if you know what you're buying, but absolutely the worst if you don't. Agree with the above post - return this "put together" coat.

doinworkinvans

He strikes again. As has been stated, take him up on a return offer. You would be wise to get your money back. Hate that you made a mistake, but I can say all of us collectors have made a costly mistake (or 2)

Keep us updated on the return process.

I consider myself to be a serious collector of RAF memorabilia, and there is NO WAY that I would consider the bullion RAF pilot's brevet to be an original. It appears to have been made in Pakistan.

Additionally, IF this was an original jacket AND he was an Eagle Squadron member, I would expect to see the 1942 badge on the wearer's right chest pocket.

I'm with the others; I cannot fathom the reason that people would spend big money on items that that they know nothing about.

It is a pity that the buyer was separated with $500 for this jacket. Had it been an original, you could have expected to spend up to ten times that much.

Allan

Glad some others chimed in.

The uniform gave me a bit of heart burn when I saw it.Not really a fan but was hoping the poster would add more pics and I was going to comment further.Ya'all confirmed my doubts as well.

WittWorldWide.com

You spent almost $500 on this yet didn't know what the ribbons are.. It's very important to learn about what you are buying before spending significant sums of money. It's one thing to stumble across something you don't know much about at a garage sale and pick it up (if reasonable priced). But, not Ebay. Ebay is the best place to buy if you know what you're buying, but absolutely the worst if you don't. Agree with the above post - return this "put together" coat.

Would have to agree. A bit of education goes a LONG way to making better purchases, and MUCH greater enjoyment of the hobby. Invest in some quality reference material, and find a couple (Not just one person...) of experienced players that you Trust, can get Honest Opinions from, and be willing to SHARE information that is mutually beneficial.

(DO know that most good books on the hobby are not bibles and have errors, but a guideline. eg. the Silver-Pinks-Greens series is well intentioned, while it has a some fakes and misidentified wings, but one of the best photo references we have.) There is nothing like the experience of handling many items over a number of years...

I've been doing this for over 30 years, and I and other experienced collectors still bounce things off other folks we know in different areas on a regular basis... The Fakes keep getting better, and as the values have risen, so have the number.

The true value of a Forum like this is NOT a personal show and tell, and poppycock comments, but a resource to go to learn, and network with well meaning players in the hobby. If you don't know it, don't buy it at retail places (That would include Flea Markets, and Advertised Private Sellers that claim to have it come directly from Grandpa...).

Talk to as many as you need to get comfortable with the item of interest. At the end of the day, you will most likely get varying opinions, and then make your own mind up.

If you are convinced it isn't good, Go Back to Seller And eBay, and get your money returned...

RW

WittWorldWide.com

Wow, speechless. It's purchases like this from dishonest sellers that keep these fakers in business.

It is also Sellers of Fakes that keep New Collectors out of the hobby, and burn out those that have been trying...

One other value of a Forum like this is to Responsibly help shake these folks out.

RW

Well said. And we've done our best to expose this seller, but when a prospective buyer doesn't read the discussion, it doesn't do any good.

WittWorldWide.com

Well said. And we've done our best to expose this seller, but when a prospective buyer doesn't read the discussion, it doesn't do any good.

Agreed... Hopefully it helps the next guy or girl.

Keep The Faith....