Portrait Photo Collectors Unite !

Eric Queen

OK, here's the idea. I think it would be good to know, and potentially beneficial for all, to have some sense of who collects what. That said, I certainly understand that most people who collect photos will pick up anything they find interesting (even outside their specific interests) if something happens to come along and the price is right. This is quite true with me as well. If something weird, strange, unusual comes along and I think I can find out more about it I will most likely pick it up (an example of this would be the 6888th WAC Postal Bn. portrait I posted a couple of days ago. I had not idea what it was when I bought it but I knew it was different and the price was right. Thanks to some members of this forum I was able to find out what it was and learn something, which I am grateful for)

So, that aside, what do you specialize in? What typically are you looking for? If we all knew, I think we could help each other more, which (should be) part of what this hobby is about.

Here is my request. Please list (up to five) of the top subjects you are looking for and post an example or two.

I will start. I am looking for original portraits of:

* US and US ally elite forces (US Special Forces [Vietnam or before], Ranger/Airborne/OSS/SAS/SOE [WW2]

* USMC 15th Separate Bn. [WW1]

* Anything related to US War Dogs from any time period

* Rare or unusual insignia in wear

Here is a nice one I picked up recently at Bob's show. Always looking for more like this.

Thanks. Please join in.

retq.JPG

Great idea Eric! I have recently found myself trying to determine what portrait collectors collect what since, as you said, it's not unusual for them to pick up everything they find.

I myself collect USMC Portraits. Any and all, really, but I guess if I had to narrow it down:

-Cabinet Cards, Tintypes, & early medias

-The earlier, the better...particularly pre-1900

-Portraits with interesting insignias and/or oddities...unofficial devices on marksmanship badges, nsanctioned insignias, etc

-Portraits with clear shots of scarce EGAs

Mine is easy- China Marine or Asatic Fleet images any era. Although will branch out occasionally for World War I Air Service portraits.

I like usmc dress uniform studio portraits with patches and ribbon bars all eras. Which I believe are home coming or post war

post-3978-0-58860100-1465757279.jpg

post-3978-0-26829400-1465757304.jpg

lakenormanusa

I am looking for hand tinted portraits

post-125711-0-12872000-1465794697.jpg

Men wearing helmets

post-125711-0-16761100-1465794718.jpg

Decorated pilots

post-125711-0-49015800-1465794765.jpg

Pilots in flight gear

post-125711-0-33720400-1465794809.jpg

lakenormanusa

Airmen with weapons

post-125711-0-59880400-1465795362.jpg

Infantrymen with weapons

post-125711-0-62838700-1465795385.jpg

Combat soldiers (and medics) with unit patches

post-125711-0-05543800-1465795410.jpg

Pretty much anything that Eric will allow to filter down to the rest of us. :P

Im a sucker for 40s and 50s era US paratroopers geared up in studio shots and also Occupation of Japan 11th AB studio portraits including KW 187th ARCT studio portraits especially if they are wearing Swing Caps......also collect any and all photos showing the same era paratroopers in the field showing tac marked painted helmets....mike

post-350-0-07177800-1465855479.jpg

post-350-0-81108300-1465855499.jpg

As my username implies, I collect WWI portraits. Most are A.E.F.-related, although I do also collect foreign (Allied) portraits, especially images showing medals. I will also collect images related to the WWI Victory Medal or victory ribbon, so I do stray into the inter-war years and even some WWII portraits if the soldier, sailor or marine had WWI service.

I have a few that don't fit the above categories that I need to weed out.

ww1buff

Thanks for starting this, Eric. This is a really good idea.

I mainly like portraits from men of units that fought in "The Battle of the Bulge"

I just snagged this off ebay for $5 2 weeks ago

post-151093-0-23079300-1465858342.jpg

gauthieb3sxz

Great idea Eric! Many of you already know me, but I collect:

-Aesthetically interesting WWI and WWII photography

-WWI real photo postcards or portrait shots sporting helmets or other interesting elements

-WWII european-taken real photo postcards

-WWII and Korean War 35mm color slide collections

Here's my website:https://portraitofwar.com/

8th.jpg?w=676

gauthieb3sxz

One quick thing - check out what I did with a collection of 90 or so portraits from the same company!

output_at3oxf.gif?w=676

• 1 month later...
USCapturephotos

As my name implies I search high and low for snapshots as well as portraits of WWII GI's in all theaters showing off their war souvenirs. I also love shots of GI's posed next to knocked out or abandoned tanks and aircraft, portraits of GI's taken overseas, etc, etc.

Nice idea Eric.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

WWI American Air Service & Balloon Corps. Actually I collect from both sides of that war (French, British, German, Italian, etc.).

I'm in the process of thinning out my WWI photo collection as we speak, so that I can pad the war chest for future purchases.

• 11 months later...

7th 1965, his Shoulder strap insignia are the type that are "pierced", opposing skull types, while the one on the flash is not !

post-3202-0-06738100-1502999322_thumb.jpg

Hello

Great idea.

I collect early cabinet cards 1870's through 1890's of US soldiers with marksmanship medals.

Like this

post-12145-0-14793500-1503019013_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hello,

I specifically collect official photos/portraits of US Army General Officers, Colonels, Sergeants Major, and Medal of Honor recipients. Here is one of my favorite photos of BG Henery H. Tucker while he was ADC of the 101st ABN Div in the late 1950's.

I also started a new topic thread where I am trying to track down some photos of specific National Guard General Officers.  I would be very grateful for any assistance tracking down their photos.

Carl

BG TUCKER, Reuben H. III (ADC-101st ABN DIV).jpg

9 minutes ago, crbruce said:

Hello,

I specifically collect official photos/portraits of US Army General Officers, Colonels, Sergeants Major, and Medal of Honor recipients. Here is one of my favorite photos of BG Henery H. Tucker while he was ADC of the 101st ABN Div in the late 1950's.

I also started a new topic thread where I am trying to track down some photos of specific National Guard General Officers.  I would be very grateful for any assistance tracking down their photos.

Carl

BG TUCKER, Reuben H. III (ADC-101st ABN DIV).jpg

You do realize that the photo is of Reuben Henry Tucker and not "Henery Tucker?" Tucker commanded the 504th PIR in WWII.

Allan