Civil War Father & Son Marines in Uniform Ambro Youngest Marine11 Years Old

Recent pick up from estate in Philadelphia, 6th Plate Ambrotype of Father and Son Marines in Uniform dated 1861, and maybe one of the youngest Marines photographed during the war, joining in Nov. 1860 age 11.. Father Thomas engaged on USS Cumberland and its sinking from the CSS Virginia...He also was cited August 1, 1862: Marines under O. Sgt. Thomas Sweeney on board the USS Cimarron manning the 100-pounder Parrott gun battled Confederate field batteries at Coggins Point on the James River across from Harrisons Landing. They destroyed and drove the Confederates from the field. Looks like (USM) on his Model 39 wheel cap.

This is a rare image and should be in a museum for the Marines...

Sgt Thomas Sweeney

Birth: 1810

Maryland, USA

Death: Feb. 11, 1869

Philadelphia

Philadelphia County

Pennsylvania, USA

Thomas Sweeney was a lifelong Marine who served his country in the War with Mexico and the Civil War.

He joined the Marine Corps as a drummer at age 14 and was stationed at the Marine Barracks in Gosport, Virginia. By 1834 he was a sergeant at the Navy Yard in Washington, DC.

During the War with Mexico, 1846-1848, Sgt. Sweeney served on the USS John Adams which took part in the Battle of Palo Alto.

During the Civil War, Sgt. Sweeney served on the USS Cumberland, USS Santiago, and at the Washington and Philadelphia Navy Yards.

He died while on duty in Philadelphia. Sgt. Sweeney and his wife Mary had two sons and two daughters. Both sons also served in the Marine Corps.

William P. Sweeney

Birth: 1848

District Of Columbia, USA

Death: Mar. 21, 1885

Yamhill County

Oregon, USA

Will Sweeney, like his father before him, joined the United States Marine Corps at the age of 11. He trained as a fifer at the Marine Barracks in Washington DC then went to sea in 1862 aboard the USS Pensacola. He participated in the battle and capture of New Orleans from Confederate forces. From April 1863 to May 1864 young Mr. Sweeney served aboard the sloop-of-war USS Portsmouth at New Orleans. He finished his wartime service at the Philadelphia and Brooklyn navy yards.

After the Civil War Mr. Sweeney was assigned to ships on the Pacific Coast and for a time was stationed at Mare Island in California. In 1872 he succumbed to gold fever and deserted the Marine Corps to try his luck at mining in the Sierra Nevada. When gold mining didn't pan out, Mr. Sweeney enlisted in the army joining the 21st U.S. Infantry in Sacramento on September 2, 1873. Private Sweeney was posted at Fort Vancouver when he was discovered to be a Marine Corps deserter. He was ordered to report to the navy at San Juan Island where he turned himself in. By order of the Secretary of the Navy, Mr. Sweeney was discharged from the Marine Corps provided he completed his service in the army. Private Sweeney finished his service in Company H, 21st U.S. Infantry and was discharged March 3, 1875 at Fort Vancouver.

Mr. Sweeney made his way to Yamhill County, Oregon where in 1878 he married Miss Flora Bell Hash. The couple had two sons and a daughter. Between the Marine Corps and the U.S. Army, Mr. Sweeney served his county for 15 years. He died at the age of 37.

post-153086-0-26603800-1465737135.jpg

Good grief what a rare image. CW Marine material is so rare, but a father and son photo, wow! Thanks for posting. Kevin

M24 Chaffee

Great photograph! I enjoyed reading the information you provided. Hard to imagine being age 11 and going through that experience. They both look like they're ready for anything! Thanks for the thread.

Frank

One of the most amazing images I have seen on this site that is not already in a museum! Your right, museum worthy! Congrats on acquiring this amazing image. I am sure there are a few collectors of very early Marine images who would have loved to add this one to their collection.

Thanks guys, it was quite a privilege to be it's current caretaker. Funny I collect ACW, mostly North Carolina 61-65, and some WW1 4th Brigade, but never had interest in ACW Marines, but thought it was worth he pickup. It is indeed a great image, and will go to the proper ACW collector eventually.

Awesome photo. I have seen several teenage Marines in tintypes from the era, the youngest before this was 12, and the majority served as drummers.

Awesome piece offering a glimpse into an obscure period of Marine Corps history

By the way, this image is a 6th plate Ambrotype (reverse negative on glass), earlier than tin. Used from around 1850 through the Civil war.

Certainly a rarity... Father & Son.... Image of 2 Marines 1861.... The both saw combat.... 11 years old.... And Thomas served in Mexican war as well. A lot going on in this image.

By the way, this image is a 6th plate Ambrotype (reverse negative on glass), earlier than tin. Used from around 1850 through the Civil war.

Thanks for pointing out my oversight. Not as familiar with this earlier types of medias as I'd like to be, but learning every day

Brother, we all are learning every day... You guys know a ton more than I can conceive on WW1 Maribes, but I'm getting there slowly....