The WWII, Korea, Vietnam 3rd Award Combat Infantryman Badge Holders, Photos and Biographies

patches

285. WEAR, George E.

Wear, from what I'm finding was a Brigadier General at retirement sometime in the 70s I imagine.

He's mentioned here in this July-August or September -October 1969 issue of the Infantry Magazine as a Colonel.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dDuJuVWqHfQC&pg=RA3-PP4&lpg=RA3-PP4&dq=colonel+George+E.+Wear&source=bl&ots=1nEzlsVqBj&sig=CG7jkTw8WewxrtgZqH0IrVO27rA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2grHWh97YAhXRSd8KHaBtAwwQ6AEIVzAL#v=onepage&q&f=false

And commanded the 3rd Brigade 25th Infantry Division in Vietnam 1966-67. no info on WWII or Korea units as we see. And couldn't find Obit, perhaps then Gen Wear is still around then.

New 3rd Bde CO

DUC PHO - COL George E. Wear has assumed command of the 3rd Bde Task Force, 25th Inf Div, succeeding COL James G. Shanahan who has returned to the States.
Upon assuming command, Wear praised the men and said he considered it a great honor to have the opportunity to command the brigade.
A 1944 graduate of West Point, the colonel began his military career as a rifle platoon leader in World War II. He served as a company commander and battalion commander during the Korean War.
He is a graduate of the Command and General Staff College, Armed Forces War College, Army War College, and holds a master of science degree in International Affairs from George Washington University.
"I will do everything within my power to provide the guidance and leadership at the top that every brigade deserves and must have," COL Wear said during the ceremony.
Guest speaker was MG William R. Peers, commanding general of the 4th Inf Div. MG Peers welcomed the new commander and said, "He (COL Wear) comes to us and to your brigade with all the credentials and with a high degree of professionalism."

286. WEDDLE, Charles E.

In WWII, 187th GIR 11th Abn Div

In Korea 187th RCT

And in Vietnam, see below. Again, no Obit found, still alive???

Former 2/1 CO Named XO of 196th Brigade

Lt. Col. Charles E. Weddle, former commanding officer of the 196th Lt Inf Bde s 2nd Bn, 1st Inf, "Guardians," is the new executive officer of the brigade.
It was while under Col. Weddle's command that the Guardians in Operation "Attleboro" found one of the biggest rice caches of the war and touched off a running battle that eventually involved two U.S. infantry divisions and claimed the lives or more than a thousand Viet Cong. Col. Weddle's unit was also responsible for the rescue of the 25th Div's 2nd Bn, 27th Inf, "Wolfhounds," which had been trapped by the VC at one point in battle.
Col. Weddle assumed command of the Guardians on Sept. 28, 1965, when the 196th was being formed at Fort Devens, Mass. Prior to that he served a three year tour in Verona, Italy, as Chief, Special Weapons Branch, LAND-SOUTH. He was well qualified for the assignment having studied Italian at the Army's Language School and having attended the Italian War College at Civitavecehia, Italy.
Col. Weddle was commissioned an infantry officer in 1945 upon completion of Infantry Officer Candidate School in Brisbane, Australia. Before attending OCS, he was first sergeant of 1st Bn, 187th Glider Regt, 11th Airborne Div. He rejoined the unit after receiving his commission.
Col. Weddle has also attended Murray College in Hurray, Ky., and the Army's Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kans. He studied journalism at Murray and worked as a reporter for the Newark Evening News, Newark. N.J., and the Asbury Park, Asbury Park, N.J.
The colonel is a veteran of World War II, the Korean War, and now, the Vietnam War. In the Korean war he served as a company commander and battalion operations officer with the 187th Glider Regt.
Col. Weddle, a senior parachutist, holds the Bronze Star Medal (second award), Joint Service Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, Distinguished Unit Citation, and the Combat Infantryman's Badge (third award).

287. WELLS, Marvin

The most tragic posting I've had to do, of course we all expect to find that one of these men might be listed as KIA, that's surviving WWII and Korea, and of course because of the march of time to see that these men have passed on, but not this.

in 2003 Marvin Wells 76 was beaten and robbed by thugs and subsequently died from his injuries some months later, unfortunately this was all I could find so far.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/103810/

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/110792/?comment_order=reverse

291. WHEAT, Charles B.

When I started this effort Wheat was not listed, he is now, perhaps due to the work of member Gumshoe who posted this topic on him. By the time I'm done there will be quite a few more listed, that's how many I've found while researching.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/248765-325th-glider508th8th-ranger-co503rd-career-medal-group/

More info from Gumshoe who sent me this via a PM.

"According to my research, Wheat started his career as a stateside cook in WW2. He volunteered for Airborne training, and was sent to ETO as a replacement in the 325th Glider Infantry sometime after D-Day. After quickly sustaining a wound, he was evacuated to England, and returned to join the 508th in time for war's end and occupation duty. He stayed in the Army after WW2 and volunteered for the Ranger Program when Korea rolled around. He served in Korea as part of the 8th Ranger Company assigned to the 24th Division. Again, he remained in the Army following Korea eventually being assigned to the 503rd Airborne Regt, 173rd Airborne Brigade, and was sent to Vietnam very early in the conflict. I have a copy of an article from the Lincoln Journal Star indicating Wheat was awarded a second PH in 1967, for wounds received in Vietnam. That's about it...down and dirty. Hope this info helps you with your project."

293. WILLIAMS, Delmer B.

Do not know his units.

1st Sergeant WILLIAMS, Delmer B. back stateside aroud 1967-68 with a unt of the 3rd Army getting an award of the Bronze Star Medal

post-34986-0-47309400-1516238596_thumb.jpg

post-34986-0-55141300-1516238921_thumb.jpg

294. WILLIAMS, Harry O.

Was in a Infantry Regement Cannon Company in WWII, division unknown, in the 7th Infantry 3rd Infantry division in WWII, Vietnam, unit unknown.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/howilliams.htm

He also was awarded two Silver Stars.

Williams, Harry O., USA - Awarded: SS - Korean War

Williams, Harry O., USA - Awarded: SS - World War II

295. WILLIAMS, Howard M.,Jr.

Units unknown.

Could be him for a Silver Star in WWII.

Williams, Howard M., USA - Awarded: SS - World War II

298. WILLS, Raymond L.

In Vietnam Wills, a Master Sergeant, was Intelligence Sergeant for the 1st Battalion 7th Cavalry 1st Cavalry Division in 1965. No other info on WWII or Korea.

https://books.google.com/books?id=RrVV-b_2enkC&pg=PT147&lpg=PT147&dq=Raymond+L.+Wills+vietnam&source=bl&ots=9TF-6MHtJ2&sig=e-iendhTV0mlYYDHDKfcrRo9VaA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc4JGftuDYAhUimeAKHSSfCN0Q6AEITTAH#v=onepage&q=Raymond%20L.%20Wills%20vietnam&f=false

299. WILSON, Devern E.

Name

Devern E Wilson
Service Number
O-2263047
Home State
New Jersey
Home County
Essex
Component
Organized Reserve Corps ORC
Troop
Infantry Division - 2nd
Troop Element
In Div Inf Regt
Unit
Specialty
Field Communications Chief
Rank
2nd Lieutenant
Branch
Infantry
Place Casualty
North Korea Sector
Date Casualty
07/21/51
Casualty Type
Returned to Duty FECOM (Far East Command)
Details
Seriously Wounded in Action by Missile, Returned to Duty FECOM

This an interesting one, note his marker, the rank, 1st LT, how is that possible! He doesn't show in the 1967 register under reserve commissions, the first year these are view able online, so as he was a 2nd Lt in Korea, my only guess is he was an EM in WWII, and then got a commission during the Korean War, stayed in the lieutenant grade for awhile and was in Vietnam early, like in the early 60s as an advisor and left the army around that time only a 1st Lieutenant.

post-34986-0-22978800-1516242018_thumb.jpg

300. WOMMACK, William M.

All I could find 19th Inf 7th Inf Div Korea.

Name
William M Wommack
Service Number
RA44046645
Home State
Mississippi
Home County
Tippah
Component
USA Regular Army
Troop
Infantry Division - 24th
Troop Element
In Div Inf Regt
Unit
Specialty
Intermediate Speed Radio Operator
Rank
Corporal
Branch
Infantry
Place Casualty
South Korea
Date Casualty 07/16/1950
Casualty Type
Details

Mississippi Flag and Seal

Korean War

302. WRIGHT, James C.,Jr.

No other info other then he was a Major by 1967.

post-34986-0-14792700-1516246200_thumb.png

Name
James C Wright Jr
Service Number
O-1913268
Home State
North Carolina
Home County
Craven
Component
Troop
Infantry Division - 7th
Troop Element
In Div Inf Regt
Unit
Specialty
Rank
2nd Lieutenant
Branch
Infantry
Place Casualty
North Korea Sector
Date Casualty 12/01/1950
Casualty Type
Died Nonbattle or Separated From Army or Current Wounded or Returned to Duty
Details
Seriously Wounded in Action by Missile, Returned to Duty US
Disposition Date
12/18/1950
Disposition Evacuation
Returned To Duty

TA DA FINI Took me a Long time Right! :lol:

This is the Ft Benning list we just went through, NOW the fun really begins, posting all those Soldiers that I found that have the Third Award of the CIB, that weren't on the list, with some that are probables. I will be posting these guys in no particular alphabetical order, I'll let the Ft Benning people do that :lol:

Will start this tomorrow night.

I would bet 1LT was his highest rank held throughout his career- he probably got a combat commission to 2LT, was then promoted to 1LT and later reverted back to NCO status after Korea.

299. WILSON, Devern E.

Name

Devern E Wilson
Service Number
O-2263047
Home State
New Jersey
Home County
Essex
Component
Troop
Infantry Division - 2nd
Troop Element
In Div Inf Regt
Unit
Specialty
Rank
2nd Lieutenant
Branch
Infantry
Place Casualty
North Korea Sector
Date Casualty
07/21/51
Casualty Type
Details

This an interesting one, note his marker, the rank, 1st LT, how is that possible! He doesn't show in the 1967 register under reserve commissions, the first year these are view able online, so as he was a 2nd Lt in Korea, my only guess is he was an EM in WWII, and then got a commission during the Korean War, stayed in the lieutenant grade for awhile and was in Vietnam early, like in the early 60s as an advisor and left the army around that time only a 1st Lieutenant.

attachicon.gifphpNrk6JmPM.jpg

I would bet 1LT was his highest rank held throughout his career- he probably got a combat commission to 2LT, was then promoted to 1LT and later reverted back to NCO status after Korea.

That's one possibility or actually two possibilities, one was a EM in WWII, got out went to college on the GI Bill, came back in because of the outbreak of the war in Korea, this time as an Officer, or as you suggest,was a EM and received a Battlefield Commission, in either case got RIFed in the early-mid 50s reverted to NCO, and regained a commission late 50s early 60s.

However because of this low rank for someone who was in at least 20 years give or take, perhaps it wasn't the case of the VA using his highest rank he at one time held (they would normally use his rank at discharge would they not, what's on his DD 214) but that Devern was indeed a 1st LT in the very early 60s in Vietnam as an Advisor, earning that third award, and left the army right after that for whatever reason, who knows maybe even medically discharged, that's a good guess, but I'll try to look around more.

And Away We Go.

The unlisted Soldiers who have, or apparently have the Third Award of the Combat Infantryman Badge.

Gabriel Alamo

In WWII 82nd Abn Div.

In Korea 187th RCT

In Vietnam The Green Berets.

http://www.virtualwall.org/da/AlamoGR01a.htm

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=37969

https://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=5540

Edgar N. Glotzbach

Glotzbach, a Officer, don't know unit in WWII, but was in the 27th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division in Korea, in Vietnam 1965-66, at first as a Lieutenant Colonel he was Exec of the 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division, and shortly after was C.O. of the 2d Battalion 18th Infantry 1st Infantry Division November 65-January 66, he becomes the C.O. of the 1st Brigade 1st Infantry Division February 66-May 66, according to his listing in the registry for 1967, promoted to Colonel April 2 1966, meaning that he was running the 1st Brigade as a LTC for a bit.

post-34986-0-66314500-1516331538_thumb.jpg

Glotzbach post war on his wedding leaving the church, date unknown, before Korea as he is wearing CIB Number One.

post-34986-0-54280100-1516331582.jpg

And in 1971-1972 on Staff at the Command & General Staff College.

Born on March 18, 1920. He died on January 14, 2003 at age 82. He was buried in Ft. Leavenworth National Cemetery