Navy and Air Force Squadron Patch collection

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

Picked up a cool patch collection today. The guy said his Uncle was a Pilot in the Navy from the 60s-80s and picked these up during his travels . He would trade along the way. I took pics of the better ones I found. I think there is about 120 patches in all. Some pretty cool stuff that I have not had before.

post-52765-0-11496000-1465696164.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

Thanks! It was better than I expected. The guy described everything and sent a few pics. I was expecting mostly 80s stuff with maybe a couple sleepers in there.

• 5 months later...

Second to last picture toward bottom of image; VP-18 FLYING PHANTOMS US NAVY. This was a Lockheed P2V-7 Neptune squadron of submarine hunters that was deactivated in 1968 at the Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station, Puerto Rico. Brings back a few memories. My dad was the commanding officer of that squadron in 1967. SALUTE !

By the way, for you rare patch collectors, VP- 18 was moved from NAS JACKSONVILLE to NAS ROOSEVELT ROADS in 1965. The Squadron commanding officer elected to change the squadron insignia colors from white, black and red to light blue and gold. These patches are very rare as to not many originals were made based on the information I have gathered over the years. Not many air crewmen wore their cold weather jackets in that hot and humid Puerto Rican weather so squadron patch circulation was rather poor. However, the positive side is that if you get your hands on an original, you've hit the jackpot !! These patches are very hard to locate.

• VP-18.png

• 1 month later...