Gettysburg Museum of History...MAJOR DICK WINTERS.

doyler

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

hahhaaaa GREAT comment, I lived in the UK and during the 1970's & 1980's items of Eva Brauns underwear were sold on a regular basis during this time, I was aware of certain dealers that were offering these items and they couldn't contain their laughter with each pair they sold, it was widely known about by the collecting fraternity, but as they say ' A NEW ONE IS BORN EVERY MINUTE '.

A lot of the silverware sold post WWII with ' AH ' on it was nothing to do with Adolf Hitler, it was something like the ' Altmark Hotel ' or something like that, well you get the picture . . . . . . . . . . .  

thanks for the laugh, lewis.

I think there where pieces sold in the 70s from a ship cruise line with COA from (Whittman)? that were/are now known not from Uncle Adolfs home on the hill.

47 minutes ago, doyler said:

I think there where pieces sold in the 70s from a ship cruise line with COA from (Whittman)? that were/are now known not from Uncle Adolfs home on the hill.

And the hits just keep on coming ... the fake pushers only stop when they croak ... and leave behind thousands of collectors who bought worthless items for a lot of money.

It is a mental illness. 

1 hour ago, ajbUSWM said:

And the hits just keep on coming ... the fake pushers only stop when they croak ... and leave behind thousands of collectors who bought worthless items for a lot of money.

It is a mental illness. 

BUT just like anything else the RULE IS; Caveat emptor. And the old 'if it seems to good to be true.... it probably is' rule. Can't fix stupid people. BITD, I'd get how people were more easily swindled, but in today's information and everyone is a 'pawn starring American picker 'expert' there's no excuse to be swindled on high profile things claiming to be what they are not.

image.png.7060f9c0fd63366ffc54776d72fbc209.pngimage.png.a543980db8ba1e8e6d6e1238c51e3e9a.png

We are in luck ... we've had Eva Braun's panties and brassiere, now they are selling Hitler's toilet seat at a reserve of $7,500.  

Would anyone want it?  how do you display it?

BILL THE PATCH

This is turning out to be a comical thread, now I know why I don't watch any of the reality shows. it's all BS

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

One of the more interesting considerations for me, is the choice of Sepp Dietrich for a lot of this fake silver service.  There is a local guy that also has a Sepp Dietrich platter, humped up as some sort of shooting award IIRC - of course, it’s replete with SS ‘sig’ bolts and skull.  

The sad thing, as we’ve seen in other collecting categories of militaria, is that there is real stuff out there.  It’s just lost in a sea of fakes.  So much so, that collectors eventually walk away from that vein of collecting altogether - ironically devaluing the real stuff.  

37 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

One of the more interesting considerations for me, is the choice of Sepp Dietrich for a lot of this fake silver service.  There is a local guy that also has a Sepp Dietrich platter, humped up as some sort of shooting award IIRC - of course, it’s replete with SS ‘sig’ bolts and skull.  

The sad thing, as we’ve seen in other collecting categories of militaria, is that there is real stuff out there.  It’s just lost in a sea of fakes.  So much so, that collectors eventually walk away from that vein of collecting altogether - ironically devaluing the real stuff.  

Well said ... I would never buy a German item because some are made from original molds and it takes an expert to tell the difference.  The same is happening with Japanese Samurai swords .. the Chinese are making thousands of copies and flooding the market ... some of the dirks are pretty good replicas.

Now for U.S, items, they are making pretty good hat copies (we can still tell the difference) and soon they will turn to copies of medals, medal boxes and other valuable items.   That is when it will hit us on U.S. valuations. 

3 minutes ago, ajbUSWM said:

Well said ... I would never buy a German item because some are made from original molds and it takes an expert to tell the difference.  The same is happening with Japanese Samurai swords .. the Chinese are making thousands of copies and flooding the market ... some of the dirks are pretty good replicas.

Now for U.S, items, they are making pretty good hat copies (we can still tell the difference) and soon they will turn to copies of medals, medal boxes and other valuable items.   That is when it will hit us on U.S. valuations. 

The Chinese are doing the same with old USA  coins as well. Seems they got their hands on the old dies too.

They are not only destroying the militaria markets.

https://news.coinupdate.com/modern-chinese-counterfeit-coins-part-1-quality-factors/?sfw=pass1611589750

"One can scarcely imagine the plotting the tyrant undertook while contemplating the world from atop this perch!"

if that doesn't make you want to buy Adolf Hitler's toilet seat, I don't know what will.

7 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

"One can scarcely imagine the plotting the tyrant undertook while contemplating the world from atop this perch!"

if that doesn't make you want to buy Adolf Hitler's toilet seat, I don't know what will.

I want to know what veteran selected that item of all things to bring back has his war prize.   When he showed his friends and family, they must have been weirded out and suggest psychological help ... as I would also recommend to the buyer.

• 3 weeks later...

TURNS OUT MOST OF THE DICK WINTERS MAP BIDDING IS FROM BIDDERS WHO HAVE 51-100% OF THEIR BIDS WITH THE ONE MAP SELLER.

IN ONE CASE, ITEM 193866015882, ONE BIDDER BID 38 TIMES AND WON THE AUCTION FOR $202.   WHO BIDS 38 TIMES?

I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING FISHY ABOUT THESE BIDS AND PRICES.  IN 25 YEARS ON EBAY I HAD NEVER SEEN BIDDING OR PRICES LIKE THIS..

APPROXIMATELY 15 OUT OF 20 HIGHEST WINNING DICK WINTERS MAP PRICES WERE WON BY BIDDERS WITH UNDER 45 POSITIVES OR UP TO 100% OF ALL BIDS TO THIS ONE MAP SELLER... IN OTHER WORDS... QUESTIONABLE BIDDERS.

EBAY SHOULD INVESTIGATE AND CONFIRM ... BUT THE EVIDENCE IS THERE  ... WE JUST NEVER BOTHERED TO LOOK.

APPROXIMATELY 520 OF THE 580 (OR 90%) HIGHEST VALUE MAP BIDS SINCE NOVEMBER WERE MADE BY AS FEW AS 15 "BIDDERS" OR APPROX. 40 BIDS PER BIDDER.

EBAY?