Gettysburg Museum of History...MAJOR DICK WINTERS.

doyler

So when you say copies are they like someone scanned them and then printed them out in white paper? Are they period copies or modern ones that winters just had in his possession? They seem like items that would not have value at all..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Persian Gulf Command

Honestly, they seem to be modern photocopies for the most part.  I make this determination due to the reduced size compared to the originals.  Also, some are not even copies of war time issued tactical map but of the chart type you would find in books on campaigns and battles.  IMHO, I would feel they have no artefactual importance other than being claimed to be copies of maps that were in the personal possession of Major Winters. 

From the eBay auction, to shed some more light on the matter. 

'This is:

Major Dick Winters Band Brothers Personally Owned Carentan Color Normandy Map 

Major Winters did leadership presentations  in the 1990's and early 2000's at West Point, Carlisle War College and countless schools and institutions. This map made in the 1990's was one of his maps for presentations. 

100% guaranteed authentic to have been owned by Major Dick Winters and from The Major Dick Winters Collection at The Gettysburg Museum of History.'

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Major-Dick-Winters-Band-Brothers-Personally-Owned-Carentan-Color-Normandy-Map-/193824124248?hash=item2d20d16d58%3Ag%3AzTkAAOSwt2df6Mx9&nma=true&si=pOuz2ZMa04aja%2B3lOWsIETWBpj0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Essentially  a modern photocopy of his actual map that Maj. Winters handed out at events. For it to sell for $600+ is crazy money. 

57 minutes ago, Ewart said:

'This is:

Major Dick Winters Band Brothers Personally Owned Carentan Color Normandy Map 

Major Winters did leadership presentations  in the 1990's and early 2000's at West Point, Carlisle War College and countless schools and institutions. This map made in the 1990's was one of his maps for presentations. 

100% guaranteed authentic to have been owned by Major Dick Winters and from The Major Dick Winters Collection at The Gettysburg Museum of History.'

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Major-Dick-Winters-Band-Brothers-Personally-Owned-Carentan-Color-Normandy-Map-/193824124248?hash=item2d20d16d58%3Ag%3AzTkAAOSwt2df6Mx9&nma=true&si=pOuz2ZMa04aja%2B3lOWsIETWBpj0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Essentially  a modern photocopy of his actual map that Maj. Winters handed out at events. For it to sell for $600+ is crazy money. 

I understand the celebrity of Major Winters, but for these? To each his own, but I go with the old proverb "A fool and his money are soon parted"

2 hours ago, Ewart said:

To be fair to buyers, the auctions should just read "Photocopies of WWII maps used for presentations, promotions, and handouts." 

I doubt if any of the buyers who spent $500+ knew they are buying a 30 cent copy.

Two more Dick Winters owned maps have just been listed, I assume there is an unlimited supply of copies.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=dick+winters+map+-button&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=dick+winters+map

BILL THE PATCH

To be fair to buyers, the auctions should just read "Photocopies of WWII maps used for presentations, promotions, and handouts." 

I doubt if any of the buyers who spent $500+ knew they are buying a 30 cent copy.

Two more Dick Winters owned maps have just been listed, I assume there is an unlimited supply of copies.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=dick+winters+map+-button&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=dick+winters+map
If they did that they would sell any, what did Barnum say, there's a sucker born every minute

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

If they did that they would sell any, what did Barnum say, there's a sucker born every minute

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

IIRC Barnum [and I could be wrong] never said exactly that, but that is attributed to him.

Okay that makes more sense they were used for presentations at West Point. Definitely worth a very small fraction of what they’re going for.

23 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

Okay that makes more sense they were used for presentations at West Point. Definitely worth a very small fraction of what they’re going for.

imho, definitely not worth what they went for on ebay. But hey, some people just 'gotta have it' and well, I hope they enjoy em. Not for me at those prices.

47 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

Approximately $8,000 in the 30 Dick Winters copies of maps have sold in the past 3. 

Seems like a very successful and lucrative business.    Will hundreds more map copies be sold this year?  The supply could be endless.

10 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

Copies of maps belonging to a Private James Ryan of the 82nd Airborne are next to be sold.

James FRANCIS Ryan?

Persian Gulf Command
1 hour ago, ajbUSWM said:

Approximately $8,000 in the 30 Dick Winters copies of maps have sold in the past 3. 

Seems like a very successful and lucrative business.    Will hundreds more map copies be sold this year?  The supply could be endless.

Just remember that as most of the public is concerned,  it was Co. E of the 506th, which was responsible for defeating the German Wehrmacht in WW2.  So $8,000+ for copies of maps would completely make sense.

1 hour ago, huntssurplus said:

Copies of maps belonging to a Private James Ryan of the 82nd Airborne are next to be sold.

Your Ryan reference reminds me a flood of Eva Braun artifacts sold many years ago.  All with her initials inscribed and a "logo" ... a clothing line all with her initials embroidered. 

99% of those Eva Braun items were fake ... they would buy old German glassware and and clothing and have her initials engraved or embroidered.   If you add up all of the Eva Braun items sold over the past 20 years ... it would easily reach thousands of "artifacts" that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars...  and virtually none of them were real. .

Eva Braun was unknown in 1945 ... she did not sell a clothing line ... nor 300 dresses and 600 sets of underwear ... nor have 30 sets of dishes with her monogram.  What artifacts she did have (her prayer book, bridge, hair brushes, pictures, and a few other items) were picked up at the Eagles Nest and likely their apartment. 

TIMELESS LESSON: Do your research...  be it U.S., German, Japanese, or British items...this forum is a great sounding board for guidance.  Plus, some of these guys respond with great humor and hysterical posts.

25 minutes ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Just remember that as most of the public is concerned,  it was Co. E of the 506th, which was responsible for defeating the German Wehrmacht in WW2.  So $8,000+ for copies of maps would completely make sense.

There ya go ... its their money. to spend wisely or otherwise.   Like I said, this Dick Winters map selloff is a highly successful business. Go man go!

Looking at some of the maps that were posted and sold, many of the D-Day maps were copies that were included in the Center of Military History's book series. I have some of the packets of maps that were included with the Omaha Beach and Utah Beach booklets..

Leigh

Here are some of the maps that were in the packets..

The 101st Airborne Drop Zones map that was for sale is also included in the Utah Beach packets..

Leigh 

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7921.JPG

IMG_7922.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

9 hours ago, ajbUSWM said:

Your Ryan reference reminds me a flood of Eva Braun artifacts sold many years ago.  All with her initials inscribed and a "logo" ... a clothing line all with her initials embroidered. 

99% of those Eva Braun items were fake ... they would buy old German glassware and and clothing and have her initials engraved or embroidered.   If you add up all of the Eva Braun items sold over the past 20 years ... it would easily reach thousands of "artifacts" that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars...  and virtually none of them were real. .

Eva Braun was unknown in 1945 ... she did not sell a clothing line ... nor 300 dresses and 600 sets of underwear ... nor have 30 sets of dishes with her monogram.  What artifacts she did have (her prayer book, bridge, hair brushes, pictures, and a few other items) were picked up at the Eagles Nest and likely their apartment. 

TIMELESS LESSON: Do your research...  be it U.S., German, Japanese, or British items...this forum is a great sounding board for guidance.  Plus, some of these guys respond with great humor and hysterical posts.

Good ol' Charlie Snyder... best underwear salesman bar none...

image.png.ac0f3e884d00797819a840fde67d953b.png

5 hours ago, doyler said:

Good ol' Charlie Snyder... best underwear salesman bar none...

image.png.ac0f3e884d00797819a840fde67d953b.png

Too funny ... I was wondering if someone would know who I was talking about.  LOL.   Bravo...

This one sold for $1,300 ... the monogram didn't match but who cares, it was close enough.  Apparently Eva Braun had to monogram her underwear lest they become mixed up with Hitlers.. LOL.   Her brassiere sold for over $5,000 so apparently this became a very lucrative business as well. 

image.png.82c96ea6d0f037a5b9bc3ff5618da9f7.png

General Apathy
17 hours ago, ajbUSWM said:

hahhaaaa GREAT comment, I lived in the UK and during the 1970's & 1980's items of Eva Brauns underwear were sold on a regular basis during this time, I was aware of certain dealers that were offering these items and they couldn't contain their laughter with each pair they sold, it was widely known about by the collecting fraternity, but as they say ' A NEW ONE IS BORN EVERY MINUTE '.

A lot of the silverware sold post WWII with ' AH ' on it was nothing to do with Adolf Hitler, it was something like the ' Altmark Hotel ' or something like that, well you get the picture . . . . . . . . . . .  

thanks for the laugh, lewis.

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

hahhaaaa GREAT comment, I lived in the UK and during the 1970's & 1980's items of Eva Brauns underwear were sold on a regular basis during this time, I was aware of certain dealers that were offering these items and they couldn't contain their laughter with each pair they sold, it was widely known about by the collecting fraternity, but as they say ' A NEW ONE IS BORN EVERY MINUTE '.

A lot of the silverware sold post WWII with ' AH ' on it was nothing to do with Adolf Hitler, it was something like the ' Altmark Hotel ' or something like that, well you get the picture . . . . . . . . . . .  

thanks for the laugh, lewis.

My favorite is when the fake item dealers would create a fake "AH" silver platter or sugar bowl and accidentally use British maker marked items.  Pretty funny to see how careless they became... but people would buy them anyway. 

There is a SS Sepp Dietrich decanter at auction this month that was engraved by a 12 year-old and is laughable ... but.. it will probably sell anyway.  The fakers know that these former leaders had the best of everything and it's engraving would have been exquisite ... not like a drunk did it the night before. ,