Gettysburg Museum of History...MAJOR DICK WINTERS.

doyler

Saw that a few days ago, pretty awesome. However not sure the jump jacket is the one he jumped into Normandy with...

manayunkman

Are they on loan ?

From what I've been told one collector owns quite a few of those items and he got them from a person very close to Winters.

If I remember the place correctly from our last time out there about a year ago, he had some very interesting pieces....a good amount of bring back, dug up type items, as well as just rare stuff. Pretty neat little collection there. I'll have to check it out again next time we go.

I remember reading an article from an American Legion magazine about a military headgear collector by the name of Robby Wilson who at one time had the same M1 helmet pictured in the museums' page. The 13th paragraph down:

http://www.legion.org/magazine/168382/10-million-puzzle-pieces

The hard copy had a picture of the helmet, but they aren't present online.

manayunkman

Most if not all the items were in the possession of a well known Pennsylvania collector and good friend of the Majors.

He in turn sold the items to a well known collector dealer who I thought still had them.

But I could be wrong.

I was in a museum near Utah Beach last week (Dead Man's Corner Museum) and they too have a bunch of Winters items - including a 4 pocket officer's coat and a jump jacket.

Isn't that run by Erik Dorr? I believe it is and I believe he's been on American Pickers and Pawn Stars more than a few times....

Isn't that run by Erik Dorr? I believe it is and I believe he's been on American Pickers and Pawn Stars more than a few times....

Yes. He owns the museum in Gettysburg and has appeared on those 2 shows.

Are they on loan ?

From what I've been told one collector owns quite a few of those items and he got them from a person very close to Winters.

On loan.

dave peifer

i was in the museum today,i have known erik quite a while.a few pieces are on loan, he owns most of the collection, was bought by him.he saw it at sos and as he said worked a deal with the owner...............dave

manayunkman

That's got to be the stuff posted soon after the show in another thread.

I think the coat, binoc. and case and jump jacket are on loan.

The rest came from the Dr. who had the Winters display at SOS.

Amazing that it exchanged hands.

dave peifer

yes from the doctor,i guess the owner liked the idea of it going into a museum,it's not for sale................dave

Saw that a few days ago, pretty awesome. However not sure the jump jacket is the one he jumped into Normandy with...

Its the one at the farm in the photos posted on another topic.Part of the sale in 1996.

If you have questions speak to the guy you bought the pencil from...he can tell you the trail of of ownership which isnt very long.As I unbserstand it Mr Shea bought several of the items from the farm.

• 4 years later...
10 minutes ago, ajbUSWM said:

There seems to be countless Bill Winters items selling on eBay of late ... if it reaches hundreds of maps and items... then....hmm

Link?

2 hours ago, ajbUSWM said:

There seems to be countless Bill Winters items selling on eBay of late ... if it reaches hundreds of maps and items... then....hmm

Dick’s brother?

I'm not sure if I even know what those maps are? Are they legitimate maps from the period, or post-war copies that are owned by him. They don't say if they are original/made during WW2, just that they are guaranteed to have belonged to Major Dick Winters. 

4 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

I'm not sure if I even know what those maps are? Are they legitimate maps from the period, or post-war copies that are owned by him. They don't say if they are original/made during WW2, just that they are guaranteed to have belonged to Major Dick Winters. 

Oh I see.   But some are going for $700+ each?   

I have seen estates of famous heroes where there are one or two maps OR a related set of maps (i.e. Operation Husky maps) in the estate.    For example the General Foss estate had only one map  I think ... General Keyes had the Husky Bigot set and a few others.... General Huebner had 6 maps.

Just an observation.

37 minutes ago, ajbUSWM said:

Oh I see.   But some are going for $700+ each?   

I have seen estates of famous heroes where there are one or two maps OR a related set of maps (i.e. Operation Husky maps) in the estate.    For example the General Foss estate had only one map  I think ... General Keyes had the Husky Bigot set and a few others.... General Huebner had 6 maps.

Just an observation.

IMHO, they'll never get that money back out of them. Think the Gettysburg Museum guy should elaborate as to 'owned' as were they war time owned or later maps that Mr Winters owned that he then had marked up.

Just seems like a crazy price. I might be able to see if it was a wartime map, but there were like 30 of them and I find that hard to believe he had that many wartime maps.

Maybe he collected them post war? Or I wonder if they are like book pages? Just doesn’t seem like everything is adding up for the price, some sold for $700+...

I’m sure it’s partly just the hype to own something from dick winters, he is the centerpiece of perhaps one of if not the most famous and critically acclaimed piece of WW2 media ever produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Persian Gulf Command

I have original examples of some of the maps that have been sold as "Major Dick Winters Maps".  The maps that have been sold on eBay are copies.  These maps could have been original maps possessed by Major Winters but those being sold are definitely copies.  It would have been nice if they were as lease signed but I don't believe they have been sold indicating any such personalization.  

One that caught my eye a while back was a German map of Neuerburg.  The center of this map is Bastogne.  One of these Major Winters copied map brought a good price on ebay several months ago.  Here is an original in my collection:

Neuerburg1.JPG

Neuerburg9.JPG

Neuerburg10.JPG

Neuerburg11.JPG