I.O.H Alpha Number Designations

Aussie-Wings

Hi,

I was hoping that someone could clear up a confusing issue for me. A number of different resouces quote the Institute of Heraldry (I.O.H) Alpha Numbering System at different dates, i.e. single number/single letter from 1954 to 1965, yet another resource states same series dates from 1960 to 1965, then double numbers/single letter from 1965 to 1999. Clearification on this would be great, difficult when resources contradict each other.

Cheers, Aussie-Wings.

Trading Post - January-March 1986 article - Is It Realy That Old? Periodizing Your Distinctive Insignia by R Capistrano provides the best information to answer your question, including a list of many of the manufacturers.

About 1953 the US Army Quartermaster General started the one letter, one number code - 9M Meyer, D2 Dondero, G2 Gemsco, etc.

Then aroudn 1964-65 they went to the 2 digit system, M22 Meyer, D21 Dondero, G22 Gemsco and my favorite W32 *************** (mine)

A very good listing of marks used on Military Insignia can be found at

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=84409

Hope this helps.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

Cheers,

AW

Trading Post - January-March 1986 article - Is It Realy That Old? Periodizing Your Distinctive Insignia by R Capistrano provides the best information to answer your question, including a list of many of the manufacturers.

About 1953 the US Army Quartermaster General started the one letter, one number code - 9M Meyer, D2 Dondero, G2 Gemsco, etc.

Then aroudn 1964-65 they went to the 2 digit system, M22 Meyer, D21 Dondero, G22 Gemsco and my favorite W32 *************** (mine)

A very good listing of marks used on Military Insignia can be found at

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=84409

Hope this helps.

Joe

Welcome to the forum Aussie-Wings!

I am in the middle of switching to a new PC so I do not have access but if I recall downloading a list of makers and codes from the TIOH. Maybe another member as a copy he\she can share.

It may be helpful to know at some point...

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the assistance. I might post some of my collection, even my ("Aussie Wings"), if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

AW.

Welcome to the forum Aussie-Wings!

I am in the middle of switching to a new PC so I do not have access but if I recall downloading a list of makers and codes from the TIOH. Maybe another member as a copy he\she can share.

It may be helpful to know at some point...

Cheers

John