WW1 German Gas Mask

37thguy

This was a vet bring back from WW1 37th Div. Dont know anything about these but based on the US ones Id say this is better than average. Good glass, good straps, mostly flexible too. Has the owners name written on a strap, but I cannot make it out. Small hole dead center below the eye pieces. Nice canister but no can. Don't know the circumstances behind it being captured. Just that a 37th vet brought it back. Trying to figure out anything I can. PM or email me if you can help a guy out.

post-729-0-07679600-1465405905.jpg

• 6 months later...
Grenvenbroich

Hi there,

with all respect but this is no m15 Gummimaske. It is the later model m16 Rahmenmaske.

These models almost look the same but just almost :)

Apart from that the real problematic issue is its country of origin. I personally think that this is NO german but an austrian gas mask.

The fun thing is that austrian and german ones look exactly the same because the austrian empire has used the german model masks. The only difference between german and austrian masks usually is the color. These black straps look austrian to me. Austrian, not german.

Do you also have the metal tin of this mask?

Would you add additional pictures?

.... with respect to its state I would rate it as a 3,5 out of 5 stars. You can clearly see a lot of wear, even holes and some rust.

Caution: These old masks are not without its dangers. The filter is made of chemicals which now are 100 years old. Apart from this the mask itself could have come into contact with gas. Always wash your hands properly after dealing with the mask.

(PS: You wanted a PM but I could not find the option to do so)