Paratrooper scarf with Angel head device

Eric Queen

Eric Queen

Somewhere. Somewhere I have seen a scarf like this before but just cannot remember where. Has anyone else seen one of these before?

What else is interesting/different about this photo?

s-l1600.jpg

manayunkman

Pilot wing shaped mustache?!?!

That's funny.

Weird parachute patch ?

Tinny paratrooper wing on cap ?

Something is going on with his collar ?

BILL THE PATCH

Maybe 11th Abn related, they were called the Angels. I'm speaking of what looks like a bolo on his neckerchief.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

manayunkman

Along the lines of doyler was this guy OSS ?

And speaking of angels isn't that what the Dutch called the paratroopers of the Market Garden drop ?

great eye, Ron.. I didn't even see that!

looks like Mario like-a-the-decoration.

theatre made patch on wrong side of cap? sweetheart jump wing in odd place?

-Brian

Eric Queen

Ron nailed it. The Cross of Lorraine on the cap patch worn a lot by the Free French units, etc. Unfortunately that part of the photo is slightly out of focus but it is definitely there.

Good guess on the 11th ABN Bill. I considered that at first also but I really don't think so in this case based on the cap patch (with the Cross of Lorraine and it does not look Japanese made)

I am guessing that the Angel has some meaning that drove the price where it did (closed for $134). Otherwise, to me, its a $20 photo.

BILL THE PATCH

I never even seen the cross of Lorraine, I knew something was there couldn't make it out. Great photo

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

I'm pretty sure it was the 502nd that wore a white scarf. Part of the 101st Abn Division. They jumped in Normandy on their first combat jump. Landed "all over" the St Marie du Mont mapsheet, which also includes Utah Beach.

Tim

ww2dday.com

I'm pretty sure it was the 502nd that wore a white scarf. Part of the 101st Abn Division. They jumped in Normandy on their first combat jump. Landed "all over" the St Marie du Mont mapsheet, which also includes Utah Beach.

Tim

ww2dday.com

Could you expand further as to why you think this is 502nd? Great photo either way. Best Paul

It could be OSS. That type of cap patch was worn by many OSS men, and the cross of Lorraine rings a bell. This is a small pin from a group that I bought from the family several years ago. Their Dad served in the OSS with the resistance in France. This pin, which is fashioned from a coin, was given to him by the resistance and was one of his prize possessions.

post-110-0-43574000-1494167926.jpg

It could be OSS. That type of cap patch was worn by many OSS men, and the cross of Lorraine rings a bell. This is a small pin from a group that I bought from the family several years ago. Their Dad served in the OSS with the resistance in France. This pin, which is fashioned from a coin, was given to him by the resistance and was one of his prize possessions.

Great Pin!!! Always cool, the little things are the most prized and have the most significance to soldiers, sailors and airmen...

Sean

Somewhere. Somewhere I have seen a scarf like this before but just cannot remember where. Has anyone else seen one of these before?

What else is interesting/different about this photo?

I can see the photo you are thinking of in my head but I can't find it! I thought it was in Devlin's book "Paratrooper" but no luck. Now it's going to bug me until I find it! :)

Eric Queen

I recently remembered where I saw it. It's in Keller's Airborne Insignia book.

82nd trooper James Megellas is who I was thinking of. Not quite the same but the mustache is there :)

post-68384-0-00056300-1494190927.jpg

Another photo of Megellas and other officers of the 82nd. They all seem to have scarves worn in a similar fashion to the photo at the start of the thread.

post-68384-0-68102200-1494191337_thumb.jpg