SKS bringback from vietnam

m151mp

i guess this is the right place for this topic. in 1970 i came back from the nam with a captured SKS. i brought back all the papers, and shortly after, in the mail, came an export license from the gov't of south vietnam. i have carefully preserved all of the papers, and the rifle, for the day when my death would send this to my only son. now california has placed this on the banned weapons list, and they have told me there is no exception for passing down family owned heirlooms of this type, and the circumstances are irrelevant. i'm sure many of you are as disappointed as i am, for i'm certainly not the only old guy here, in similar circumstances. given this problem, and my advancing age, i decided to part with this, and this week i shipped it to a collector from this forum. i did not foresee this all those years ago, and as such, had no idea how to go about it. he made it very straight forward, provided all the assistance he could, and the tracking numbers and shipper, have told me he should get it on friday. this feels like i have closed a very distinct chapter of my life. california has jabbed me in the eye with a very sharp stick.

BILL THE PATCH

I feel sorry for all the people of California, I'm from NY and its just as bad here. JMHO.

Edited for Political overtones.

USCapturephotos

Hey M151. What a heart breaker for both you and your son. I can only imagine.

Thanks for your service! I had a former ARVN officer, now a US citizen come into my classroom a few years ago and speak to my high school students. He was there of course during the collapse in 1975 and did 6 years in a "re-education" camp. On the day of the talk he walked in, made my students stand up and say the pledge before giving his talk. At the end he told my students how lucky they were to be living here and ended by telling us to let every US Vietnam Vet we know that many South Vietnamese did appreciate what we were trying to do in their country. It brought tears to my eyes and was one of the most powerful moments I ever saw in my classroom....so I am passing that along to you.

Thank you!

Paul

m151mp,

Sorry to hear about your SKS situation. Knowing about your VN service, that is truly a disappointment. H/E, I suspect your son will cherish some of YOUR personnel items from VN even more than the SKS.

Best,

Ken

Im surprised you let it go? the sks is perfectly legal to own in California, especially one like yours that was brought back way before the import bans and all that stuff

sks rifles are not something thats registered, not that long ago anybody could buy one from a private party at a gun show no paperwork required

you could have handed it down to your son easily, it's not a registered firearm, dont ask dont tell kind of thing.

the sks is banned from importation from China since 1994, but you can still buy them in Ca if your lucky enough to find any left in the local gun shops.

the sale and ownership of an sks is not banned.

suwanneetrader

I guess it is too late now but if I had went thru what you did and my son came to visit, and said he wanted it to honor me then he would have it packed and in his car. At times we make decisions. Just my 2 cents, Richard another old old guy on Forum

I guess it is too late now but if I had went thru what you did and my son came to visit, and said he wanted it to honor me then he would have it packed and in his car. At times we make decisions. Just my 2 cents, Richard another old old guy on Forum

he didn't want to take the risk, and i understood that. when you bring up the banned list, the type 56 is clearly listed, and doj said that applied to mine, which was listed on the s2 papers as a type 56.

Im surprised you let it go? the sks is perfectly legal to own in California, especially one like yours that was brought back way before the import bans and all that stuff

sks rifles are not something thats registered, not that long ago anybody could buy one from a private party at a gun show no paperwork required

you could have handed it down to your son easily, it's not a registered firearm, dont ask dont tell kind of thing.

the sks is banned from importation from China since 1994, but you can still buy them in Ca if your lucky enough to find any left in the local gun shops.

i'm going off the banned list, which is available, and the reply from the doj to my question.

TheMariner

There was another option, your son could have simply applied for a CR license, if has a clean record there should have been no issue, a small price to pay Imo to keep the history in the family!

Hate that had to happen to you but if it keeps you and your son out of any possible jail time then you did the right thing. As stated earlier your son will definitely cherish the other items you brought home from Vietnam. My dad sold his bring back sks since he didn't want to relive the memories attached to it but since he brought home many other items like his VC flag I have plenty to cherish and honor his service. Nowadays I still wished he hadn't sold it but I can understand why he did do it.

I could walk into a gunshop in Califiornia today and buy a Chinese sks rifle if they had one in stock.

Agreed. I had no problems registering my Vietnam Chinese SKS bring back with the CA DOJ. I would pose this question on the Calguns C&R forum ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84 ) or one of the "law" forums (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=349 ) A lot of good Calfiornia specific info on that site.

Your bringback sks is perfectly legal to own in California.

Woodymyster

Ok, I assume we are referencing Penal Code 30510, which list the firearms banned by name under the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

Under the PC, Norinco 56 label guns are indeed banned by name:

Penal Code - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370] ( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

TITLE 4. FIREARMS [23500 - 34370] ( Title 4 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

DIVISION 10. SPECIAL RULES RELATING TO PARTICULAR TYPES OF FIREARMS OR FIREARM EQUIPMENT [30210 - 33690] ( Division 10 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

CHAPTER 2. Assault Weapons and .50 BMG Rifles [30500 - 31115] ( Chapter 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

ARTICLE 1. General Provisions [30500 - 30530] ( Article 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

As used in this chapter and in Sections 16780, 17000, and 27555, “assault weapon” means the following designated semiautomatic firearms:

(a) All of the following specified rifles:

(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:

(A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.

(B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.

However, under (B) where Norinco 56 is mentioned, it is referring to the type 56 AK produced by Norinco, not the 56 marked SKS.

Your firearm was legal.

In California, a SKS is banned if:

1) it has the ability to accept a detachable magazine. Example, Norinco SKS-D or Norinco SKS-M

2) has a grenade launcher spigot attached to barrel. Example, Yugo Zastiva M59 and 59/66 rifles

Here are links from CA DOJ

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=30510.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/awguide.pdf?

I don't mean to argue, just want to clarify in case this thread is searched and used to spread false information.

Woodymyster

Proposed bills are not laws. He still could have transferred the rifle to his son legally, regardless. Also, his SKS does not have a detachable magazine. The proposed bills focus on detachable magazines.

Very unfortunate if OP had to get rid of the gun due to misinformation. I hope the dealer from this forum that received the SKS will make it right with m151mp and return it.

• 2 weeks later...

i guess this is the right place for this topic. in 1970 i came back from the nam with a captured SKS. i brought back all the papers, and shortly after, in the mail, came an export license from the gov't of south vietnam. i have carefully preserved all of the papers, and the rifle, for the day when my death would send this to my only son. now california has placed this on the banned weapons list, and they have told me there is no exception for passing down family owned heirlooms of this type, and the circumstances are irrelevant. i'm sure many of you are as disappointed as i am, for i'm certainly not the only old guy here, in similar circumstances. given this problem, and my advancing age, i decided to part with this, and this week i shipped it to a collector from this forum. i did not foresee this all those years ago, and as such, had no idea how to go about it. he made it very straight forward, provided all the assistance he could, and the tracking numbers and shipper, have told me he should get it on friday. this feels like i have closed a very distinct chapter of my life. california has jabbed me in the eye with a very sharp stick.

Sorry to hear this my friend; another reason why I'm retiring in NC

• 1 month later...
RANDALL 1953

I feel sorry for all the people of California, I'm from NY and its just as bad here. JMHO.

Edited for Political overtones.

CT. is not so great either.