WWII era Canteen/Canteen Covers - USMC?

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

I have had these 3 canteens and covers for over 20 years.

I know that the crossed flap cover is consdered to be Marine Corps,

but I was also wondering about the other 2.

The first cover is marked, Foley Mfg. Co. 1942.

It appears to have a name stamped on the front and the bottom,

which is reminiscent of a Marine Corps piece.

The second cover is marked, Perkins Campbell 10-11-18.

It has a service number, 20641676, written on the back and inside one of the flaps.

This number may reflect WWII era issue.

There is also another number, B0518, written on the front, under the U.S. stamp,

The third cover is a cross flap with the drain hole on the bottom.

It has a name lightly stamped on the back.

I don't know much about canteens/covers or field gear, so any information

about these items would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Canteen/cover #1

post-125711-0-31467200-1465356872.jpg

post-125711-0-57634800-1465356907.jpg

post-125711-0-98068300-1465356937.jpg

post-125711-0-76420200-1465356964.jpg

post-125711-0-02363200-1465356986.jpg

The first 2 are not USMC. The USMC P1912 covers have "USMC" stamped inside and the wire hanger is also further up. Some also have multiple rows of stitching on the back. USMC ones are not marked US either.\

I agree that the name stamp looks USMC/Navy though. See if you can read it and I'll run it for you.

John

lakenormanusa

The first 2 are not USMC. The USMC P1912 covers have "USMC" stamped inside and the wire hanger is also further up. Some also have multiple rows of stitching on the back. USMC ones are not marked US either.\

I agree that the name stamp looks USMC/Navy though. See if you can read it and I'll run it for you.

John

Thanks for the info John.

Unfortunately, I can't make out any of the name stamps.

lakenormanusa

John

Hey John, I couldn't clearly make out the names on my canteen covers,

but I have 2 USMC sateen shirts that are named, and if you get a chance to run their names,

I would like to find out more information about the men they are named to.

The first one is named to:

M. Maynard Jr - 915047 USMC

post-125711-0-20568600-1465486265.jpg

The second is named to:

R. J. Stocker

post-125711-0-57098500-1465486289.jpg

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Rick

• 6 months later...

The 20614676 is a WWII Army serial number for a prewar National Guard unit that was activated early in the war, first year anyway. A 1xxxxxxx number means a prewar volunteer soldier, 2xxxxxxx is National Guard and 3xxxxxxx means a soldier that was drafted. A few 4xxxxxxx numbers were used for late war draftees when the 3's were all used up, they were all from the northeast.

I expect the canteen was reissued later and the B0518 was the next guy's laundry number.

The 20614676 is a WWII Army serial number for a prewar National Guard unit that was activated early in the war, first year anyway. A 1xxxxxxx number means a prewar volunteer soldier, 2xxxxxxx is National Guard and 3xxxxxxx means a soldier that was drafted. A few 4xxxxxxx numbers were used for late war draftees when the 3's were all used up, they were all from the northeast.

I expect the canteen was reissued later and the B0518 was the next guy's laundry number.

lakenormanusa

Thanks Jim!