General George Churchill Kenney Painting and Inscription

ww1collector

ww1collector

I hope the title got your attention. A painting showing C47's doing an air drop was found with an unusual inscription. It came down through General Kenney's family. I am including a copy of the painting and a copy of the inscription. More info can be found in a war biography by Kenney titled "General Kenney Reports" that can be found on Amazon. Kenney was one of MacArthur's right hand men in the Pacific. What is intriguing about this is that the inscription is done by General Marion Cooper who was a long time friend of Kenney's. A picture of the inscription is included. It says in general that the picture is of the 'first aerial envelopment IN HISTORY" and goes on to name a place that was captured that I cannot decipher. The artist is a famous Disney artist named Harper Goff that did the painting in 1943. There is no title on the painting and copies shown on the internet do not have a title either. I have questions: Can anyone read the name of the captured town? Why are the landing gear down on the C47's? Since Kenney only operated in the Pacific, where would this be?-referring again to the captured town. Inscription says Kenney commanded the operation-was this in 1943 or earlier-to be the first such operation "in History"? Anyone have any info? Dave

post-6147-0-68531900-1465328790.jpg

post-6147-0-13664500-1465328820.jpg

ww1collector

Beast-incredible. You hit the nail on the head! That explains the B17 in the upper left. Both Kenney and MacArthur were aboard observing. Great piece of history. Thanks much. Dave