1934 Coastal Artillery Khaki Service Coat from Panama Canal Zone

oakleaf777

Check out this Panama Canal Zone khaki service coat. It came with a Christmas Eve dinner menu from Fort Sherman Panama Canal Zone, dated 1934. Based on the workmanship and details of its construction --most noticeably being the seam across the waist between the upper and lower pockets, I believe the coat was tailored locally in Panama. There is no quartermaster label or any other markings on the coat. According to the unit roster at the back of the menu booklet, the owner of this uniform was a member of the band. Any additional info is welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking.

post-160238-0-49586100-1465233092.jpg

post-160238-0-61204400-1465233112.jpg

Very cool coat! It looks like it might be a stand-up collar conversion? Thanks for posting,

Justin B.

A very nice coat. I believe it is likely a locally made example as well, including the chevrons, which look different than normal stateside issue. I dont see any evidence of conversion from a stand collar, but if you look closely underneath the lapels, there will be evidence of tailoring conversion if present.

CB

I dont see any evidence of conversion from a stand collar, but if you look closely underneath the lapels, there will be evidence of tailoring conversion if present.

Maybe not, only in the picture the outside collar edge looks very straight top to bottom and the angles of the lapel notches look different. Could just be the photo, though, or the style of that tailor.

Justin B.

oakleaf777

Justin- Im no expert, but I looked under the lapels, and I cant find any indication that the coat was converted from a stand up collar. I have compared the coat pictured above with an actual issued M1926 khaki service coat with Quartermaster Depot label, and they appear almost identical, except for the coat pictured above has some minor differences in its construction, and it's workmanship is not of the same quality as the government issued example. Therefore, my suspicion the one in the picture was locally made in Panama. What seems odd to me is that a private would have a locally made tailored uniform. I thought that was for officers mostly, --especially in the 1930s.

Does anyone have any information on the proper headgear for this uniform? Campaign hat or Khaki enlisted visor cap? Thanks again for the replys.

Great find. A beautiful between the wars example.

If you are ever inclined to sell or trade, this Coast Artillery collector would be very interested.

Dan

Justin- Im no expert, but I looked under the lapels, and I cant find any indication that the coat was converted from a stand up collar. I have compared the coat pictured above with an actual issued M1926 khaki service coat with Quartermaster Depot label, and they appear almost identical, except for the coat pictured above has some minor differences in its construction, and it's workmanship is not of the same quality as the government issued example.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Justin B.

Justin- Im no expert, but I looked under the lapels, and I cant find any indication that the coat was converted from a stand up collar. I have compared the coat pictured above with an actual issued M1926 khaki service coat with Quartermaster Depot label, and they appear almost identical, except for the coat pictured above has some minor differences in its construction, and it's workmanship is not of the same quality as the government issued example. Therefore, my suspicion the one in the picture was locally made in Panama. What seems odd to me is that a private would have a locally made tailored uniform. I thought that was for officers mostly, --especially in the 1930s.

Does anyone have any information on the proper headgear for this uniform? Campaign hat or Khaki enlisted visor cap? Thanks again for the replys.

It was actually fairly common for enlisted men in overseas garrisons to have locally tailored uniforms and insignia. This was particularly so in the Philippines for example.

Both types of caps would have been worn, but the Campaign hat was typical.

CB

• 4 weeks later...