Information on Japanese Sailor's Cap

tfhiii

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so I hope my posting is accepted. I am seeking information about a Japanese sailor's cap that was part of my late father's personal belongings (My father was not a WWII veteran but served during the Korean War in the USAAF). He obtain the cap (along with other items) when he was a teenager in the late 1940s from his cousin (Frederick Higgins), who was a marine in the pacific. Unfortunately, I don't know any other details about his cousin,or have military-related paperwork related to the item. If someone could provide me with some insight (i.e., ink tag inside, inked numbers on outside) into the cap, I would appreciate it.

Tom

post-162853-0-78291400-1465232901.jpg

post-162853-0-08500100-1465232922.jpg

post-162853-0-53102600-1465232939.jpg

It is a summer cap for an IJN sailor (non-officer/petty officer level cap). QM tag inside states that it came from the Sasebo naval depot. Information from right to left gives: Sailor's ID number, sailor's name, date of issue, date of manuf. Issued in Feb. of 1944.

Nice cap!

Tom

Eric Queen

Made in 1943, issued in 1944. Sailors name was Matsunaga (last) Masanobu (first) 松永正信. Serial number was 68513. Difficult to make out what is above the number. The last character is sui (from suihei, sailor)

The two characters above the sailor ID number are: 佐 "Sa" , short for Sasebo naval base, and 志, short for volunteer, followed by sailor and number as Eric has stated above.

Tom

Wow!. Great information. Any ideas about what the markings on the sides of the cap may represent?

T.

Eric Queen

I think what Tom says makes sense. I just have never seen that style of abbreviation before (but I don't really collect Japanese items either with a couple small exceptions)

They seem to be using the first character of each word in a three word string (世保) "sa" from Sasebo (願) "shi" from "shigan" [volunteer] (兵) "sui" from "suihei" [sailor]. Basically a sailor who enlisted (volunteered) at Sasebo naval base.

I couldn't add any information on the numbers on the side of the cap. One of the great mysteries of IJN gear. These over/under numbers appear from time to time on field gear: caps, canteens, etc. There are theories out there, but I don't believe there is anything definitive at this time. Maybe others can add to this.

Tom