Just Purchased my First M1917A1 Helmet... Thoughts?

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper

Just bought this off of ebay for $146 shipped ($117 for the helmet, $29 for the shipping)... Did I get a good deal? The seller claims its pre/early WW2 american... What do you guys think? Is the paint original? Did I get a good deal?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

everforward

I really like it..! It may be a very early cork and repaint but I think it looks great. Well done..!

ParanormalTrooper

I think the bolt is a replacement bolt, looks like the original one may have fallen off.

$29 for shipping!? Where did it come from, Mars?

The top bolt is definitely a replacement.

It is a WWI shell retrofitted with the m1917a1 liner. This is an interesting example, as whoever did the liner installation followed the instructions exactly and removed the original chinstrap loop retainers. This put a lot of stress on the bolt when the helmet was hung on something by the strap (which is probably why it has the replacement bolt). In 1937, the Infantry Board recommended that the chinstrap loops should remain in place, and the straps be passed through them to reduce the stress on the top bolt.

ParanormalTrooper

Cool, thanks for the info.

It actually ships from Canada, the guy mentioned in the item description that he had a ton of US helmets and he wanted to sell em.

I can't wait to get it in hand to see if the liner has any markings or anything I can use to ID a solder.

May be missing the round pad in the center...could be hiding under the flaps though...

Send me a PM when you get the helmet in the mail...Gotta get rid of that shiny bolt on top! I'll donate an original to the cause!

doinworkinvans

May be missing the round pad in the center...could be hiding under the flaps though...

Send me a PM when you get the helmet in the mail...Gotta get rid of that shiny bolt on top! I'll donate an original to the cause!

Good on you! Some great members here!

• 6 months later...

$29 for shipping!? Where did it come from, Mars?

The top bolt is definitely a replacement.

It is a WWI shell retrofitted with the m1917a1 liner. This is an interesting example, as whoever did the liner installation followed the instructions exactly and removed the original chinstrap loop retainers. This put a lot of stress on the bolt when the helmet was hung on something by the strap (which is probably why it has the replacement bolt). In 1937, the Infantry Board recommended that the chinstrap loops should remain in place, and the straps be passed through them to reduce the stress on the top bolt.

Interesting! First time I have ever seen one of these with the chinstrap bails removed. Good information. I'm not sure its a WWI retread though as the ends of the rim butt up against each other instead of overlapping. Between wars maybe?

The ZC21x stamp puts the manufacture date in late 1918, so it's definitely a refurbished WWI helmet. No m1917-type helmets were manufactured between 1918 and 1940.

the paint looks like a period depot repaint, the condition seems to match the condition of the liner & chin straps, possibly done during the refurbishment when the new type of liners were added using WW1 shells.