D-DAY COMPANY COMMANDER 1st Division , 26th Infantry

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

"When we landed in Normandy the First Infantry Division was like the Green Bay Packers when they were on a winning streak, We couldn't lose! "

These were the words spoken by the man who this thread is dedicated to. The more I read about him, a picture of a true leader appears, similar to Dick Winters.

He began the war as a 2nd Lt., earning a Silver Star in Sicily in 1943, and 3 Bronze Star medals during the war. I have not been able to fine the citations associated with his Bronze Star awards. He earned 6 Battle Stars and an Arrowhead for Normandy. .

During the Battle for Normandy, he purposely disobeyed an order from Brig Gen Theodore Roosevelt Jr., when obeying it would have cost the lives of his men by having his company blown to bits in a ravine.

He was captured Sept 18, 1944 leading his men on a mission near Diepenlinchen Germany after they were surrounded by the 48th Grenadier Regiment. He chose to stay with his men during the assault when he knew he could have made it back to the lines himself.

The documents attached to this thread speak for themselves.

012992d0e1f82cb683ed59cd4b29a9b7151924ccc9.jpg

01773bab0770264c82fdeb6ef2d02854629cf0719b.jpg

KASTAUFFER

01778f6a9cec2541f48dd4a20d432ac8df23a75bac.jpg

This citation for his Silver Star earned in Sicily. The Medal number was notated on the citation. It matches the medal .

010897b0fea5b94092f8ae132f2a71f0b74ec9fba4.jpg

KASTAUFFER

The circumstances of his capture. He spent the rest of WWII in a German Prisoner camp, Oflag 64. He stayed on the Army after the war also serving in Korea. He passed away in 1996.

014c228f3325b4aa434165463a4420d3df73046a89.jpg

ferry3.JPG

017726ca9203d77f231a4b65d87c618e8eece6ec37.jpg

There is still work to be done on researching this group. I would love to know what he earned his 3 Bronze Star medals for. At least one of them has to be for a CIB conversion award. One of them may be for Korea.

Lets remember of the veterans of D-Day on the 72nd anniversary of the landings.

I'm sorry Kurt. The group is fake. Please send it to me for reference. I'll pay shipping.

No, seriously. This is an incredible group! What a brave man and what an awesome history!!!

Dave

CNY Militaria

Thank you for sharing this group Kurt. The ribbon bars are very nice! Justin

KASTAUFFER

I'm sorry Kurt. The group is fake. Please send it to me for reference. I'll pay shipping.

No, seriously. This is an incredible group! What a brave man and what an awesome history!!!

Dave

Hi Dave! It must be real! None of the medals are engraved!