The Columbia Gem of Caps "Columbia Flight" Crusher.

usmc3439

They were in NY, not sure if this means NYC, and they made caps for the Navy too is all I can find.

The title they choose for their firm is clearly based on the mid 19th Century into today patriotic song Columbia Gem of the Ocean.

Thanks for the info!!

I will post some pictures in the morning to aid in further id of the time period.

So, the cap has an unmarked eagle, that appears to be "laquered". It also has the faint remnants of what appears to be a name, address and unit inscribed inside of the sweat band. It is a shame I cannot read it! Anybody knows of a solution to that problem? I have heard black light helps read faint ink.

Also, the eagle buttons on the side are fixed with two bent pins, instead of screw-ons like later models.

Pictures!

Sorry about the sandwich bag box :)

20160605_071737_zpshonpu3ot.jpg

20160605_071810_zpsvjfyyhqd.jpg

20160605_071828_zpsds07ea6p.jpg

20160605_071843_zpskf03y9ws.jpg

It has been a while since I posted any pictures on the forum and I completely forgot about image hosting links. I apologize. Here are the re-sized images for your viewing pleasure.

post-157833-0-16798900-1465136033.jpgpost-157833-0-20454200-1465136034.jpg

Nice early wool elastique visor cap. Being an officer's cap, it was private purchase, as were all officer's caps.

hardheaded

It also has the faint remnants of what appears to be a name, address and unit inscribed inside of the sweat band. It is a shame I cannot read it! Anybody knows of a solution to that problem?

I take pictures of the pencil/ink from different angles and then play with the contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc... in photo editing software. Works pretty good!

A true crusher has a single thickness bill (peak). Quality of the cap seems pretty good, however the attachment of the chinstrap with bent pins is a let-down. Most collectors relate these to WW2 but they were still in demand in to the early 50s. Just observations not being critical.

Regards,

Will

• 4 years later...