Original Vietnam ARVN Ranger Helmet - Update

BOLO

Awesome helmet, Mark! Look forward to seeing this one in person.

I like the fact that the hand painted elements, such as the eyes and the whiskers, are the same on the those in the Ranger photo provided by BOLO.

Also, in the photo below, you can see paint over-spray on the stainless steel rim, however the over-spray is absent from those areas where the steel is exposed. Honest wear over time from use, in my opinion, but I'm far from an expert.

post-29885-0-03757400-1465231807.jpg

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Hi, I hope you guys don't mind me asking, but when did the value of ARVN helmets rise so drastically? I believed they were worth between $1000-1500 but now they're $5,000? Are some variants more collectible compared to others?

I think this helmet went for more money because it was not a type seen before on the market.

Also it is a colourful/attractive example.

Just guessing on my part.

Spy vs Spy

Outstanding ARVN helmet, a center piece in any advanced Vietnam collection.

These ARVN helmet threads always turn up to be interesting reading.

Best regards

Martin

ParanormalTrooper

Wow, I've been reading this thread and this helmet is simply amazing.

Awesome helmet!

nguoi tien su

Congrats to the winner! Maybe the best VN war helmet I have ever seen.

A bad month for me unfortunately, I would have been glad to get it!

This one was taken in Soc Trang:

09-64-10.jpg

nguoi tien su

Yes, I do collect those lids. I have four painted helmets (one BDQ) and several liners.

I work in Shanghai and should be there for the next few years.

I don't think the helmet shown upper in this thread (associated with the 199th LIB) has something to do with the unit you are looking for.

Here are some other photos: (no Tiger here, but the same weird colors).

09-64-12.jpg

nguoi tien su

09-64-14.jpg

Great photo with the shadow of the BDQ patch and a scroll too.

Also see the different scarves. I have one like that in the collection.

My dear NTS, after this stunning pictures I have one question for you. May you tell me the date (approximately and if it really exist) when the tiger was painted on the front of Ranger helmet?

Interesting helmet, to say the least. I saw the comments on warrelics as well, and not surprised at the mixed opinions and skepticism. That's the inherent challenge any rare theatre-made helmet will face. It's the bane of camo helmets from most every era and country. With "experts" vascillating opinions, and a skittish community due to widespread fakes, there's no wonder why.

I hear my grandpa's voice in my head, everytime I win an auction. He was an incurable auction, swap meet, flea market guy. His quote was, "winning an auction means you paid more than anybody else was willing to". Never understood if that was good or bad, so I just focus on happiness. If the buyer is happy, end of story. The only time that changes, is if they ever decide to sell it; then, somebody else's happiness is a factor.

As far as value, I'm not sure how market can be $5000 on one of these, based on the purchase price of this particular example. Seems to me, based on international visibility to a full-term online auction, this is the high end of market value.

ArchangelDM

Interesting helmet, to say the least. I saw the comments on warrelics as well, and not surprised at the mixed opinions and skepticism. That's the inherent challenge any rare theatre-made helmet will face. It's the bane of camo helmets from most every era and country. With "experts" vascillating opinions, and a skittish community due to widespread fakes, there's no wonder why.

I hear my grandpa's voice in my head, everytime I win an auction. He was an incurable auction, swap meet, flea market guy. His quote was, "winning an auction means you paid more than anybody else was willing to". Never understood if that was good or bad, so I just focus on happiness. If the buyer is happy, end of story. The only time that changes, is if they ever decide to sell it; then, somebody else's happiness is a factor.

As far as value, I'm not sure how market can be $5000 on one of these, based on the purchase price of this particular example. Seems to me, based on international visibility to a full-term online auction, this is the high end of market value.

Words to live by , I agree a lot with you and your grandad

ArchangelDM

Congrats to the winner! Maybe the best VN war helmet I have ever seen.

A bad month for me unfortunately, I would have been glad to get it!

This one was taken in Soc Trang:

09-64-10.jpg

Trying to pm you please clear your message box to receive messages

Thanks

D~

• 4 weeks later...
snake36bravo

Great helmet!

A lot Vietnam militaria collectors always say they would never trust a painted ARVN BDQ helmet.

Comparing to Anton's and Owen's luxury helmets, my helmet looks poor.

Nice to see another. Wonder who owns it now since I sold it?

post-2582-0-41071300-1468692467.jpg