Original Vietnam ARVN Ranger Helmet - Update

BOLO

439th Signal Battalion

I do wish that this picture was clearer, but I believe that the helmet this ARVN Ranger is wearing is very similar to the subject of this thread. This soldier belonged to the 33rd ARVN Ranger Battalion, 5th ARVN Ranger Group in 1967. The 5th Ranger Group was paired company for company/platoon for platoon with all maneuver battalions of the 199th Infantry Brigade in 1967.

post-4009-0-02260200-1465064977.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Anton,

Like I said before, I like it and I think anyone who inspects it would also give the same opinion of it being a nice original example. It has nice age, patina and the fact it was done on a WWII front seam shell with the original straps still attached is a plus, compared to the 99% of strapless shells the artifakers use.

The picture Bolo provided is a great reference and if you look closely at the very front soldier, you can barely make out the red paint on the top of his helmet just like yours. If I was you I would display it with a purple scarf and a print out of that picture.

Congrats

Troy

439th Signal Battalion

One more. This one is from an Army Photographer and shows another ARVN Ranger with similar helmet and a dog handler from the 199th's attached, 49th Infantry Platoon Scout Dog.

post-4009-0-28470100-1465067309.jpg

I had some doubt about the helmet, but now, after that I see this pics, I think that it's a 100% legit. My compliment Anton!

Anyway, in my opinion, this helmet it's a great news for all Vietnam collectors, because it confirm that today still exist many ARVN hidden treasures.

Looks much better in these recent photo's. But, still have reservations as I don't see it as one looker. But, that might just be me, Us Korean, WWII and WWI collectors aren't all that smart. ;)

Looks much better in these recent photo's. But, still have reservations as I don't see it as one looker. But, that might just be me,

WOW. Seriously? :mellow:

No sure what you are looking for.

I really don't see what is keeping you on the fence here.

I do appreciate you weighing in however.

Anyway, it is a one looker to me.

Especially in-hand.

The period photos also help to authenticate it in my mind.

I have no doubts and I am very happy with it. :D

Thank you all for the nice comments and congrats.

I really do appreciate it.

Beau-Brummel

It certainly Is!

Congratulations Anton you have a very serious piece of history there and should you ever wish to sell It :lol:.

Look

A

helmet likE

this is a tReasUre.

o

Looks much better in these recent photo's. But, still have reservations as I don't see it as one looker. But, that might just be me,

WOW. Seriously? :mellow:

No sure what you are looking for.

I really don't see what is keeping you on the fence here.

I do appreciate you weighing in however.

Hey, you asked for opinions, I gave one. Please note, I never said it was a fake, I was however clear from the beginning that I was skeptical. You should see me at a show, I go over the perspective purchase with a fine tooth comb... IN HAND! Any doubt I may have causes me to put the helmet down and walk away. But you want me to jump on board and agree with you and everyone else based on photo's but, I can't. Listen, if you are happy, then I am happy. Enjoy your new helmet, it's probably a good one. :)

To Bugme:

I understand. From your perspective, you want to look at it under a microscope before giving it a Ya or Nay. Fair enough.

To Kammo-man & Beau-Brummel:

Thank you for your kind comments.

Looks like a nice ARVN helmet.

Not sure what happened with Vietnam helmet collecting.

I remember original ARVN's selling in the $900 - $1500 range. (granted there wasn't a lot available) Even from reputable dealer sites, even the US issue helmets (with history) have seemed to sky rocket in the last few years.

Anyway, cool helmet, been hunting for an original for years, congrats, from the pictures it look like the real deal, and the period photos show an identical panther design on the front, I believe the price is fair for what it is.

J

GeneralCheese

WWII got too expensive, and the public likes to pretend Korea didn't happen, so they jumped to Vietnam.

There are definitely some Korean War helmets that are extremely pricey as well.

Great helmet!

A lot Vietnam militaria collectors always say they would never trust a painted ARVN BDQ helmet.

Comparing to Anton's and Owen's luxury helmets, my helmet looks poor.

post-104838-0-28778500-1465161537.jpg

Thank you Owen and Andrei. I feel so lucky to own one of these.

I totally agree with Owen that painted ARVN BDQ helmets are very very rare. Too many fakes makes collectors think real ones as fake.

Comparing to Anton's and Owen's luxury helmets, my helmet looks poor.

..I will be very happy with your helmet in my hands.. :D

Hi, I hope you guys don't mind me asking, but when did the value of ARVN helmets rise so drastically? I believed they were worth between $1000-1500 but now they're $5,000? Are some variants more collectible compared to others?

Thanks, N