Original Vietnam ARVN Ranger Helmet - Update

BOLO

wow, it's currently $1,603.98

another thing that tells me the seller doesnt know much about helmets, is he mentions it's a size 9 in his description, he's definitely not a helmet collector, and he starts it out at $9.99

he doesnt seem to deal in militaria too much going by his feedback he mostly sells siverware, jewelry, old watches, etc

post-1885-0-03339100-1464786425.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

That's just a pi$$ing contest now.

Seller update;

On May-24-16 at 18:45:07 PDT, seller added the following information:

I have received a lot of foreign inquires about this helmet, let me say, I have no problem shipping international. :dry:

ArchangelDM

wow, it's currently $1,603.98

another thing that tells me the seller doesnt know much about helmets, is he mentions it's a size 9 in his description, he's definitely not a helmet collector, and he starts it out at $9.99

he doesnt seem to deal in militaria too much going by his feedback he mostly sells siverware, jewelry, old watches, etc

Could prove to be a good thing , I don't think he is the run of the mill military dealer.

That's just a pi$$ing contest now.

Yeah, it's just the same two bidders getting their adrenaline pumping. Wait until it gets near the end and one of them comes to his senses and realizes he can't afford it, decides to bail out and leaves the other guy hanging with having to sweat out a questionable helmet arriving in the mail. For the winner, I hope that in hand that it is more convincing than what it is right now.

USMC-RECON0321

Don't worry if you don't get this one, after this auction I'm sure we'll see plenty more show up just like it in the next few months. :o

Honestly what I think is drawing in the bids is the fact it's supposedly an "out of the woodwork" shell, never been in a collection and from a Non-military dealer. But after this auction, all those things are gone and the next time it hits the market (Still with no proof or provenance and just opinions one way or the other) you will see a much lower price to actually sell it. As we can see with all the comments, this is a good possibility, but Not a sure thing or a "One Looker".

I hope someone here gets it so we can get a better look.

Troy

Beau-Brummel

Wow, that's fantastic :blink: I bet the seller Is shocked!

Be fascinating to see If It go's any further yet!

As much as this exciting helmet looks really cool I also think its no good for the exact reasons as above.

owen

Its really close.

An inhand inspection would be needed.

Bolos picture is really good.

Its a $5000 lid.

$5,000 seems a lot for something this is unable to be authenticated.

There's a 14 day return policy

Why $5000?

Alex

Do you actually understand how rare ARVN painted helmets there are in collections ?

A WW2 painted helmet can fetch 50000

And they made millions of them

Do you actually understand how rare ARVN painted helmets there are in collections ?

A WW2 painted helmet can fetch 50000

And they made millions of them

Owen, you do understand Alex has an original in his collection right?

Luxembourg

I have 3

Owen, what AnDuc means is that I understand that they are rare as I have one in my collection and I know that you are THE expert when it comes to ARVN helmets. So that's why I asked why this one is a $5000 lid. I thought they are worth between $1500-2000?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/244242-rare-original-arvn-helmet/

Thank you,

Alex

Luxembourg

Can you explain me/us what makes this a $5000 lid? I thought (and I bet many other collectors) that ARVN helmet are worth $1500-2000?

Alex

USMC-RECON0321

But where is there any proof of this being original? Yes I like it and it has a good look to it, but I don't think it's a "No doubter" It's just a hope and a prayer and opinions. There's No name, No Chain of custody, No provenance, No history, nothing?? If it is legit, that's great, but again no one can ever prove it with any certitnty. Not saying this same issue doesn't apply to WWII painted helmets, but I think you can sure tell a reproduced attempt at a 70+ year old hand painted WWII helmet a lot easier than this spray painted ARVN helmet.

Also I disagree, there was not millions of unit painted M1's, the majority were plane janes. I would put original unit painted helmets maybe in the 100,000 +/- range, If that. Then figure in how many were turned in and painted over vs actually making it home and reduce that number even more. And really, the only unit painted helmets bringing in the $5000 range (I think you meant $5000 and not $50,000) range are a combat unit, matched set, (helmet and liner both unit painted) and some sort of provenance to them. If unit painted and considered a "no doubter" or "One looker" but no provenance you're usually looking at around $2500 to maybe $3500 range. If it's a "Maybe it could be good", you would be anywhere from $400 to $1500 range?

Also I wouldn't put any faith in a 14 day return policy. What would base your reason for return on this one? You can't prove it's a fake anymore than you can it being real. It is an interesting example, but at $2300 I would hold out for one with some sort of provenance. I look at these like I do WWII AB and Medic Helmets. They are well known to be faked, so No Proof - No Buy! (Not at that price anyway).

Troy

Luxembourg

Owen,

You first wrote that you think that it is not good and that it would need an in hand inspection.

As much as this exciting helmet looks really cool I also think its no good for the exact reasons as above.

owen

Now you say that it's a "rare original" and that it is worth $5000?

Without provenance, history, in hand inspection or better pictures you changed your mind? I don't/can't understand this.

If such a "dubious" (at least for the moment) helmet is worth $5000, so what is mine worth?

It was brought back by an US Advisor to ARVN forces and Scott looked over it?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/244242-rare-original-arvn-helmet/

Alex

Owen, yes my question is sarcastically put, but Alex's ARVN helmet is just as great as those in your collection, and the fact that it came from a veteran and was authenticated by Scott (Bugme) is just icing on the cake The fact that you own 3 to his 1 is great, but that just means you have more experience handling them compared to others. It's still quality over quantity. If I was going to pay $5,000 for a helmet (which I never would, sorry) it would take a lot more provenance for me to spend that much. To me, this helmet is dubious at best, but I wouldn't know much because I'm a "bottom feeder who preys eBay for cheap deals". Before you make a comment like that, i think you should consider the different situations USMF members are in. Not all of us can afford top of the line helmets.

This is just my humble opinion, N

GeneralCheese

I think this all goes back to the "open market" argument we had a few weeks ago with a certain Captain helmet. If it's worth $5000, then why didn't it sell for $5000? I know ebay isn't a foolproof method for determining value, as stuff can fly under the radar, and we've all had it happen both buying and selling. However, if a helmet with publicity like this, to both members and lurkers, didn't even reach half of $5000, what are we to believe?

The helmet looked good to me on ebay.

It looked good to 10+ other people who bid on it including collectors here on the forum (some from abroad).

It looks a lot like the ones in the period photo posted by BOLO.

Whether its worth $5K or not, I dunno but it was worth the $2K to me.

I spoke to the seller who was a Vietnam vet and he told me he bought it from another Vietnam vet - true or false I really don't know.

There is a 14 day return policy so I am confidant I can return it if it does not look good in hand.

Frankly, I am not worried about it as I believe it to be authentic.

Also proving or disproving this one 100% will probably be difficult.

Oh and by the way thank you Mike and BOLO for your help with this.

your welcome anton67

the helmet looks like it came from the same ARVN unit shown in the photo form 1965 - 1966, possibly the only one left in existence?

If it is from the same unit, you have a very rare piece of history in your collection.