Original Vietnam ARVN Ranger Helmet - Update

BOLO

for what it is worth:

I have a neighbor who was part of the army correspondents and an artist for the army in viet nam.

I have purchased one of his bring backs and he told me he would do the work on helmets for the rvn troops as a sign of good faith.

he said never would the different units look alike.

he had shown me some of his personal work.

and luckily he has never done any post war helmets to make money.

one day I will post my helmet

All good points on the originality. Has anyone asked the seller for some background information on where or how the helmet was obtained?

He/she does offer a return policy, so if the price stays reasonable, and we could see some better pictures/closeups it might be a gamble that pays off.

J

I asked him if there was any info he could tell me about this helmet and how he acquired it? when it was brought back? etc

and he answered: Late 1960's what I was told.

-heirgoldmiester100

and didnt say anything about how he got it

for what it is worth:

I have a neighbor who was part of the army correspondents and an artist for the army in viet nam.

I have purchased one of his bring backs and he told me he would do the work on helmets for the rvn troops as a sign of good faith.

he said never would the different units look alike.

he had shown me some of his personal work.

and luckily he has never done any post war helmets to make money.

one day I will post my helmet

I think I have heard this before, and a scan of the period photos available on the internet back the idea that there were many variations between units.

I still do not like that base color, but I am going to agree with Owen, I'd have to see this one in person before making a call on it.

I'll put this in the category of "possible, but with questions."

thefallenbuddha

I'm going to have to go on the doubtful side of this one as well.

The photos Bolo posted are very well-known ranger photos that can come up in a Google search and have been around online for years (posted and reposted on many forums and posts) - nothing new or extraordinary. I am more inclined to believe someone tried in a poor attempt to make a helmet based off of one of those photos than the helmet actually being original. This would not be the first time someone has painted a helmet based off of a photo, and unfortunately it won't be the last...

On a different note, I like how the "many bids" are actually mostly just the same two bidders outbidding each other by $2 or $4 dollars...

Brian Keith

I asked him if there was any info he could tell me about this helmet and how he acquired it? when it was brought back? etc

and he answered: Late 1960's what I was told.

-heirgoldmiester100

and didnt say anything about how he got it

I think that answer tips it more to the repo side of the scale. Great discussion!

BKW

I don't collect painted helmets, but there's one thing that sticks out to me like a sore thumb. If you look at the upper teeth of the panther, it looks almost gray, but when you compare it to the lower teeth, the paint looks much fresher and instead of being spray painted on, it appears to be brushed?

post-154926-0-81204500-1464194637.jpeg

Beau-Brummel

That's because the main body of work was done with stencils and then certain details added by hand.

Beau-Brummel

Could be I suppose but I think It's over laid stencils with hand finishing. Lower teeth whiskers ad eyes are all added afterwards.

I think It rocks and saw It just after It came on, I was the first watcher and asked him If he'd pull It but you'll all be very pleased to see he didn't :D This one could get a bit eye watering I suspect.

USMC-RECON0321

Here's another ARVN Ranger helmet I saw yesterday at the antique mall, this one is one of the most copied designs I see people selling and they try to sell these as originals.

he has this one marked:

Orig Rare ARVN Vietnamese Ranger Helmet

$1,500

http://www.ghw2.com/topic/51871-arvn-ranger-helmet-at-antique-mall/

Being in the antique shop by a military dealer with that price is just hoping for the uneducated buyer with a pocket full of money. Like a bobber in the water, just waiting for that nibble! :o

Troy

We've discussed this previously on here, but as far as I can tell looking at period photos, that type of side numbering was never used for ARVN Ranger units.

Being in the antique shop by a military dealer with that price is just hoping for the uneducated buyer with a pocket full of money. Like a bobber in the water, just waiting for that nibble! :o

Troy

Also sends a message to those who see it that all helmets are $1500.00 :rolleyes: because most pickers and antique dealers have no clue between a 1942 period helmet or a 1982 or the insignia on them.We still have a dealer here Who thinks any helmet thats an M1 And is green is WW2 :lol:

ArchangelDM

This is such an interesting lid , as stated before you see the usual run of the mill fakes with the usual designs. This stands out because it's the first I've seen come up with this design in a long time.

The photo that was posted before is such a great find , In my opinion this could be a winner. But as stated you will only know when in hand , it's a risk but fortune favours the brave

USMC-RECON0321

In my opinion there is no way to EVER prove this helmet one way or the other. There will always be opinions, some who believe it is good and some who don't (as with many helmets lacking provenance), You might even get a self proclaimed expert or Helmet authenticator to put his stamp on it, but that is still no PROOF and just another opinion. And just for the record, I'm not saying "No Proof" is a bad thing (Many great helmets in collections without any provenance), but people just need to understand that before putting a $5000 price tag or value on something. There would have to be a lot more than guesses and "Opinions" on a helmet for me to pay up $5K.

Troy

ArchangelDM

In my opinion there is no way to EVER prove this helmet one way or the other. There will always be opinions, some who believe it is good and some who don't (as with many helmets lacking provenance), You might even get a self proclaimed expert or Helmet authenticator to put his stamp on it, but that is still no PROOF and just another opinion. And just for the record, I'm not saying "No Proof" is a bad thing (Many great helmets in collections without any provenance), but people just need to understand that before putting a $5000 price tag or value on something. There would have to be a lot more than guesses and "Opinions" on a helmet for me to pay up $5K.

Agreed , I would not spend 5k on a lid without history and a name to put to it.

No chance

Troy

As much as this exciting helmet looks really cool I also think its no good for the exact reasons as above.

owen

Its really close.

An inhand inspection would be needed.

Bolos picture is really good.

Its a $5000 lid.

$5,000 seems a lot for something this is unable to be authenticated.

ArchangelDM

I like it alot...if these were my thing i would be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich....mike

?