British glider wings? Fake M & B (Marples & Beasley) wings

Brian from Columbus

Brian from Columbus

Who made these and are they WWII vintage?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

post-157366-0-47600400-1465052198.jpg

This is a cast copy probably from a N.S. Meyer glider pilot wing with a British style rear pin back. The hallmark should read M & B (Marples & Beasley) B'HAM STERLING SILVER. I don't believe Marples & Beasley ever manufactured a US glider pilot wing.

• 4 years later...

Was going to ask about this jump wing.  Never saw one, so it piqued my interest.  I know they made CIB's but had not seen a jump wing. 

I was questioning it for the seller also has a glider wing (not the glider pilot), but both the jump wing and the glider wing have the same "C" type catch and both have bent pins.  Didn't give a warm fuzzy feeling...

• 2 weeks later...

The above glider pilot wing just sold for $120.93 and the above paratrooper wing sold for $216.31.  They are both fake in my opinion.  One of the things you look for when trying to determine if a particular item is original is to look at what other things the particular seller has for bid.  If there are a number of other things that don't look right I stay away from the particular seller.  This eBay seller out of Berkshite, UK uses the moniker of soisjack who has sold currently 41,779 items with a 100% feed back. 

This seller also sold a supposed WW2 era British made US glider trooper wing for $158.25 which I feel is another copy (see link below).  It is a casting and due to all of the other bad stuff I'm seeing I would not trust this piece as being original.  

This seller sold a supposed original paraglider wing for $127.15 (see link below).  It has a British style pin back assembly which in my opinion indicates it is a fake piece as paraglider wings were started in occupied Japan by members of the 11th Airborne Division and not in the UK.  

This seller sold a supposed WW2 era British Special Air Service parachute wing for $170.00 (see link below).   It is a known fake and I should know as I bought one 30 plus years ago from a couple of Brits visiting the US at a gun show in Pomona, California.

This seller has a supposed original WW2 era SOE or OSS Jedburg SF wing for sale which in my opinion is another fake (see link below).  

So does the seller knowingly sell fakes or is he/she simply ignorant concerning the authenticity of these pieces.  All I known is like I've said before these fakes are ruining our hobby as it discourages collectors who continually get ripped off by either unscrupulous or ignorant sellers. 

Temp3.jpg

Temp4.jpg

Temp1.jpg

Temp2.jpg

Temp5.jpg

Temp6.jpg

Temp7.jpg

Temp8.jpg

WWIIinterviews

I was watching the GP wings, until I read this thread. After seeing the discussion here I decided I would pass on bidding.

I'm not defending the seller but I don't think militaria especially US items is his thing. I've got a feeling he buys collections or lots and sells them on because he seems to sell in batches, one week it'll be vintage pens, then the week after vintage toys, then coins etc etc.

He may have been duped himself with these wings.

I've met him once, he used to live local to me in Shropshire UK and I bought a US class ring from him. He didn't seem very knowledgeable about it.

Shame the buyers didn't research these pieces first though.

• 1 year later...

I have one of these in my ‘Box of Tears’. Was many years ago, before I knew better. Thought I had found a scarcer hallmarked wing. Is of course a third pattern Meyer’s, with a bogus hallmark. It does not give me pleasure to know I’m not the only one who fell for this POS. Just despicable.