The movie Passchendaele

blackhawkdown

Looks very interesting. I didn't know about this one. I sure hope it's better than "The Trench". One of my British medal groups is an unfortunate casualty of the battle.

-Ski

• 2 weeks later...

The marquee picture makes me instantly think of "Pearl Harbour", in which the token love story was added to give the movie a 'hook'- which also compromised the content of the film.

I hope I'm wrong but this looks like yet another love story that happens to be set during a war, not a film about Passchendaele. Hope I'm wrong about that but it's just so "Hollywood" (whether or not a film is made there) to stick to a formula and they *must* have the love story about the Soldier and the Girl He Left Behind

Let's all cross our fingers that this one isn't like that!

Judging by the trailer this one definitely looks like another love story. But anyway it isn't often a WWI movie comes out so I cant wait to see it. Here's the trailer link:

Also does anyone know if the Red Baron movie will be coming to the US? I think it has already been released in Germany.

The Red Baron Trailer

• 4 weeks later...
militariacollector

Just watched it tonight and I was a little disappointed this one. Too heavy on the love story for me, but it was nice to see a WWI movie come out, especially a Canadian one. Did notice some historical inaccuracies though, but I guess that is just one of the side effects of collecting....

Just watched it tonight and I was a little disappointed this one. Too heavy on the love story for me, but it was nice to see a WWI movie come out, especially a Canadian one. Did notice some historical inaccuracies though, but I guess that is just one of the side effects of collecting....

Ah poop! Thought we were going to get a good "Saving Private Ryan" story of WWI. Thanks for the review though.

Mark

Being a Canuck, I think I can chime in here with a quote that says it all from a fellow collector and author, Clive Law.

His sentiment on this film is how many of us up here feel. Myself, I have seen the movie and enjoyed it for what it was, not for the accuracy, which I did see many whatzits.

Quote:

Being overly concerned about whether the buttons on the third sentry's Gor' Blimey are 10 ligne or 12 ligne should not be the point here. As Canadians we have often (continuously?) complained about Hollywood's lack of recognition for the Canadian contribution in both World Wars and Korea.

My only hope from Paul Gross' epic film is that it portray a valid and honest Canadian contribution in the First World War. I would be happier still if the production gave a passing nod to uniform accuracy and would be ecstatic if they could leave out sporterized rifles in the hands of the soldiers. Beyond that I recognize that movie producers are not documentary film producers and, if they wish to take some poetic licence, so be it.

My understanding is that the prop people visited Victor Taboika's comprehensive colection and copied a number of items for use in the film (trench periscopes, etc...). These may not make it past the cutting room floor but at least the effort was there.

I will attend this movie on its first weekend in order to support the very idea of a Canadian war movie - and hopefully one with better acting than that terrible Dieppe thing. At the very least Paul Gross has earned that by bringing the First World War Canadian contribution to the unwashed masses.

End Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Dale

First off....I have a lot of respect for the CEF in the Great War. Heck, a lot of Americans went north to join them before we officially got involved.

Secondly, does anyone know when we might be able to see it in the US?

I have not yet seen the movie though it has just arrived in my city.

An observation on a recent WW1 US movie...the A&E Movie, Lost Battalion.

That is an excellent show, quite a surprising performance from Ricky Schroeder.

Accuracy...well, when you see the US trench just prior to "going over the top", and can recognize, P-17/P-14 rifles as well as M-98 Mausers and No.4 Lee Enfields..it kind of sets the tone for the rest of the show.

Remember, that these things are being produced for entertainment purposes and to make money. How accurate they are depends on the production companies budget and the availability of the materiel.

Now you guys got me going...just found out that Passchedaele is here...gotta go...see ya later.

Cheers

blackhawkdown

I am so glad the movie is now out. Does anyone know if it will be released to the US soon?

I don't care if there is a romantic aspect to the movie, in all reality the men that went to war had women in their lives and it is part of the war experiance.

Dan H

Saw the movie last night.

It is very well done and overall an excellent movie.

Bear in mind it is not a typical "John Wayne" hooraw type of movie. It is factual and accurate as far as a movie company can make it.

It is not a documentary, but a movie made for entertainment based on real event.

To put it into comparison..the closet recent movie that would be the A&E movie "The Lost Battalion".

Though I should note that in that movie, the U.S. Infantry of WW1 never used the K98 Mauser or the No.4 Lee Enfield, as was seen in the trenches and carried by the marching troops earlier on.

The singular error that stood out was the 303 cartridge which was placed on the map to emphasize Paachendaele village. The Canadians used the MkII through MKII cartridge with the Cupro-nickel plated 200/220 gr round nose bullet...the cartridge used in the movie was a MkVII cartridge with a 174 gr spire point FMJ.

Here is an interesting observation...normally at the end of the movie prior to the credits, most of the audience gets up and leaves. At the end of the movie the lead characters and actors were being listed with original WW1 footage added to one side. Not one person moved while these credits were being run. Only after the footage had ended and the production cast credits were rolling did people start to leave...that I found unusual and surprising.

Hopefully it will make it to the US, though I doubt it.

It you get a chance go and see it.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
blackhawkdown

Does anyone know when this movie will ever get to the US market? Maybe to Blockbuster rental?

Dan H

blackhawkdown

If anyone is interested, I know see that Netflix in the U.S. has the movie but not Blockbuster.

Dan H

Passiondale.

10 minutes fighting, 1.5 hours hopeless romance. Makes Pearl Harbour look like a WW2 Documentry. Save your money.

At least the wife liked it thumbdown.gif