USMC Overseas Cap /w Pin

nchistory

I have the same type pin that was my great uncles ww1 pin. He was with the 2nd Division Engineers and I believe this was made in Germany as he was with the army of occupation and was billeted with a German family. Just my 2 cents worth

30thguy

Thanks 30thguy, I've heard several say they were produced "over there", and a few say they are 2nd ID Association pins from the 20's & 30's. Does yours have a manufactures mark? Mine doesn't.

Sorry took so long to answer. The reason I say he got it in Germany is that he hated the army because he was drafted when he was 30 years old. He did not belong to the American Legion nor did he go to reunions so that's why I say he got it in Germany. From what I remember when I was a young kid,Not everyone I met enjoyed their WW1 experience. He just wanted to forget about it.

I will check and look but I don't think it has a mark.But they are pretty though. Will answer you tomorrow evening

30thguy

30thguy thanks for your response.... That makes perfect sense. Would love to see a picture of it if you get a chance. Thanks again..

The Chinese coin doesn't help in the dating process. Thousands of Chinese were brought to France during WW1 as laborers to dig trenches. This particular vastly pre-dates WW1. Was coined during reign of Emperor SHENG TSU AD 1662-1722.

post-153086-0-01049300-1465693228.jpgpost-153086-0-69434300-1465693237.jpg

I'd bet that the coin was some kind of good luck token to the Marine in itself! It's a cool piece of headgear with amazing decorations. I really like the id that was determined and now in your collection the history is preserved forever!

David

I have had many EGA's of all eras with coins used in lieu of washers...both Japanese and Chinese. Wish we would stumble on a journal entry or something explaining if it was a superstition, luck, or just a bunch of individual great minds thinking alike

Schnicklfritz

That is one cool hat. The pin on the 2nd Div. Indianhead badge is the style that I've associated with French or German Occupation made items. You see it on the collar disks too.

30thguy shared this pin of his ancestor with me and determined in had to be German occupation purchased, as he had not belonged to 2nd Division Association post war.

post-153086-0-22457300-1466177241.jpg

That style pinback is very often seen on small German pins from WWI-40s...probably later, as well

normaninvasion

In reference to the coin washer, while probably stating the obvious, they were used as good luck charms traditionally by the Chinese. This seems to have carried over to other cultures. I have seen a picture of Alaskan tribal armor made of old Chinese coins from the 1700s, trade items from the Russians. I assume that Marines and soldiers at this time were aware of the good luck symbolism.