USMC Overseas Cap /w Pin

nchistory

Alec, is it true that the enamel Indianhead pin pictured here is likely a 2nd Div. Association pin from the 20-30's. Thanks

If it is him.....He is shown in the 80th Company 6th Regiment...come over to France on the USS Pocahantas with the 7th Regiment. Returned to the States and discharged September 1919

Hi Chris

Prendergast is being restored...hope to have it back soon, will post pics when I do.

Regarding the Indian Head pin, I have a couple of uniforms where Marines affixed it to the Foruragerre. I've also got a couple loose that came in groupings so they are 100% of the period and the one on the cap is period correct.

Good luck

Duke

Yes Dirk, Ancestry has it messed up on the muster rolls, a few have Bean in the 79th, and most in the 80th. So it's not Bean.. Thanks

Pvt. Thell R. Neal, USMCR, 79th Co (F) 6th Marine Regiment. Awarded the Purple Heart Medal for actions against the enemy WIA while serving as a Rifleman during the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment's defense of their sector inside the Bois de la Montagnes outside of the French village of Xammes during the St, Mihiel Offensive in the morning of Sunday, September 15th, 1918. Participated in The Battle of the Aisne (Belleau Wood), the Defensive Sector at Marbache, The Battle of Blanc Mont Ridge, The Meuse-Argonne Offensive, and with the 3rd U.S. Army Occupation of the Koblenz Bridgehead, Germany in 1919.

Brig, I believe Indian Heads were official even branch pins. Need to find the document, but it is actually a long list of what could be worn on the fourragere.

There were such pins, but I do not believe any of these official ones were in color, just all bronzed.

Got this in today. Looking behind insignia, appears to have been there awhile as cloth behind insignia darker, as well as some oxidation where the metal touched exposed cloth. The coin washer is throwing me off, maybe Chinese? Maybe washer broke, and was replaced postwar to continue wearing as a Vet, or maybe the coin is wartime, don't know how to date...Still thinking this is possibly NEAL. Always seeing input.

post-153086-0-94500500-1465593302.jpg

post-153086-0-35833900-1465593390.jpg