Aircraft Identification - Is this a F-105?

Nic

I recently picked up this photo for my "100 missions" collection. The reverse reads: "Feb. 12, 1968 - 100th Mission - Takhli, Thailand". I currently have zero info on the pilot, other than what he wrote on the reverse. My goal is to put a name with a face. It appears to me given ladder configuration and parachute, that he is a F-105 pilot. Can someone confirm that? Thanks!

post-330-0-43629200-1464913094.jpg

Nic,

I'm pretty sure it's a Thundercheif. The boarding ladder is certainly similar. I was also thinking F-100, but based on the positioning in the photo, the leading edge of the Hun's left wing (mounted lower than the F-105) would be visible. If you look closely, you can just make out what appears to be the F--105's distinctive wing inlet plate at the top right above the Colonel.

Dale

phantomfixer

Using the drop tank and antenna(?) and the ladder...safe bet it is a 105

and thinking it is a two seater

post-155518-0-18671700-1464957916.jpg

phantomfixer

came across this 105 while searching pics...thought it was amusing and hopefully not considered indecent...seen a lot of nose art before...but nothing like this....the 105 is about to hook up to a tanker...

post-155518-0-01643900-1464959724.jpg

came across this 105 while searching pics...thought it was amusing and hopefully not considered indecent...seen a lot of nose art before...but nothing like this....the 105 is about to hook up to a tanker...

The "art", was supposed to give the tankers Boom Operator something to aim for.

Thanks for the replies. Dale, I also thought it was a F-100 at first, as I have another photo of him in front of one. (attached) Unfortunately, no writing on the back of that one. Also, he has a security badge on his jacket and I just can't read the name. After looking at other photos of F-105s, the ladder configuration had me convinced it was a F-105. Plus, I don't know if any F-100 units flew out of Takhli. That would be great if it were a Weasel F-105 though. I never thought of that since he was the only one in the photo.

post-330-0-34244500-1464987473.jpg

F-105 for sure. Looks like a 2 seat F model, since it has both a centerline tank and you can see the right wing tank as well. This would leave the left wing for the large Standard Anti-Radiation Missile which was a common F-105F Wild Weasel configuration. Also the ladder is far enough back for a rear seat. The F-100 pic looks pre Nam with that scarf and blue flight jacket.

Randy

Major James L. Davis and Captain Phillip Walker with Republic F-105F-1-RE Thunderchief 63-8352, photographed at Takhli Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand, 12 February 1968, after they completed their 100th combat mission. The F-105 is now carrying the tail code RM, indicating the 354th Tactical Fighter Squadron. (From the collection of Colonel James L. Davis, United States Air Force)

http://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/wild-weasel-iii/ I am on my I phone but the photo of the plane is at bottom of page. I'm not sure who is who in your picture but steady you have two names to go off of.

Randy and Wcdino685, thanks for the replies and a big thanks for the link and the lead. I looked at the photo tonight with a magnified glass and it appears he is wearing Major rank. Definitely not Captain, so that would rule out Walker. There is a Captain standing behind the full bird, but I can't see any flight gear on him.

In starting my research on Major Davis, I did find this info:

".........James L. Davis. He flew 100 missions over North Vietnam in an F-105F Wild Weasel from March 1967-December 1967."

I also found this mention:

"26-Jun-67 - F-105F Wild Weasel Class 67WWIII-12 graduated from the 4537 FWS at Nellis AFB, Nevada. The class started on 9 May 1967. All but one of the seven pilot/EWO crews was assigned to the 355 TFW at Takhli. The crews and their Wild Weasel numbers were: (list of other crews)......Maj James L. Davis (WW# 353) and EWO 1Lt Thomas S. Waller (EWO# 364)"

The December date mentioned above is not jiving with the photo, but I would think that the time frame of June 26, 1967 to February 12, 1968 would be reasonable for a 100 mission tour. Regardless, it is a great lead and fingers crossed I can track down a photo of him to compare it to mine. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Third Herd

There were at least two F-105's with a target for the boom operator. I saw a photo a boomer took of one when he got his photos out of the BX in 1969. The F-105 the Strategic Air and Space Museum has on a pylon along I-80 east of the museum was painted like that but left off when restored to Vietnam era paint scheme.