H&R Mk-IV Flare pistol use?

lambo35

I've had this pistol since 1955. It uses a 1-7/16" signal/parachute flare. My father bought it for me from a military surplus store in Pasadena, Ca. It is large and heavy and has a fold out breach block for loading the flare. Any one know which service used this pistol?

Chuck.

It has; H&R, Worcester, Mass. Manufactured for Hitt Fireworks Co. Seattle, WN. This is on the top of the barrel. On the left side of the barrel is; For Parachute and Signal Flares. On the right side of the receiver is; Mk-IV 1-7/16". On the inside of the breach block and the front of the grip is 2203 [serial number].

I will get some photos up this evening.

Chuck

Although...H&R, Worcester MA almost certainly means the original Harrington and Richardson Arms Company, a company which did make US martial arms. Not that I believe the reference to fireworks suggests this is a military flare gun.

I bet that thing was a cool ray-gun

Man I would cut that grip off, remove the trigger guard and build me a cannon out if that thing!

Neat project!

Ronnie

30-30remchester

I have the same. Everything the OP mention written on his gun, mine has as well. Mine was a $75 pawn shop find. My serial number is within 100 of the OP's. However on mine a hand stamping was struck next to the serial number. The hand stamp reads " PT-8-24-43". I can not figure out if it was on PT boat #8 or if the numbers are a date. Either way it would put these in use in WW II if the stamping isn't fake.

The world of flare guns is certainly an in depth one with so many models and variations. In a general overview signal pistols like these were utilized by all sea going vessels of the Maritime Commission and Merchant Marine regulated by the USCG for life boats. These would be contained in a "Boat Box" with distress signals often watertight copper containers. Signal pistols like these were almost all but phased out by 1950 being replaced by the hand held smoke/star distress signals MK-13 MOD-0's being procured by the US Government and manufactured commercially being approved by the USCG. To my knowledge these large 37mm signal pistols were not a typical compliment for the US Navy but rather a standard compliment for Merchant Marine vessels.

In the January 1943 Wartime Safety Measures for Merchant Marine it lists the hammerless barrel Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. for parachute and signal flares breech block marked Mark-IV as a USCG approved signal pistol for life boats.

The PT-8-24-43 in my opinion is a test or inspection and that it is a date, PT might stand for Pressure Tested or something of that nature.

30-30remchester

Thank you for the excellent information Dustin. I have wondered about this flare pistol for some time now.

Thanx Dustin. Are there any books/monographs on flare guns?

I want to say that I had seen a book many years ago that was part of a limited printing maybe from the early 80's and I've heard of that was going to be published but seen nothing. So in short no, maybe some tid bits here and there on more common models.

I have the same. Everything the OP mention written on his gun, mine has as well. Mine was a $75 pawn shop find. My serial number is within 100 of the OP's. However on mine a hand stamping was struck next to the serial number. The hand stamp reads " PT-8-24-43". I can not figure out if it was on PT boat #8 or if the numbers are a date. Either way it would put these in use in WW II if the stamping isn't fake.

I don't want to rain on any parades, but "PT" could also mean "Pyro Technics" or "Pyrotechnic Trainer".

There were no parades to be rained out, my assesment on the meaning of PT was speclatory nothing more but am pretty sure the numbers are a date.

After some cursory research I think PT signifies it was Liquid Penetrate Tested, these tests are referenced with abbreviation PT. it is a common testing of metals and integrity of welds and such. So im pretty sure now that this pistol was liquid penetrate tested the 24th of August 1943.

Brian Keith

There is a Flare Gun Forum here: http://flaregunXXXforum.com/ Take the three X's out for the correct address.

It is not as active as this forum, but has some experts and good info.

I'm glad the cannon builder does not own this flare gun!

BKW

Ahh yes Proof Test sounds much better and a duh moment as that is a typical term used in ordnance related equipment.

Charlie Flick

Thanx Dustin. Are there any books/monographs on flare guns?

The only modern book which addresses US signal pistols that I am aware of is "Flare Guns & Signal Pistols Their Use, Description & Accessories" by Robert Gaynor. It was privately published in 2001. Otherwise, you are stuck with period field and technical manuals and the occasional article found in older gun magazines like Gun Report and the American Rifleman. There is a recent book out on German Signal Pistols but that's not pertinent here.

Regards,

Charlie

30-30remchester

I do not feel wet so I guess it did not rain on my parade. I have always wanted to know what the hand stamping meant. Proof tested and a date sounds logical to me. Thanks for the help.