Smallest yet most impressive ribbon bars

turko

So here is a semi-related question...

What Medal of Honor recipient has the least number of ribbons officially awarded to him?

I am not asking what they normally wore, but what they were entitled to wear.

Let's make it a bit easier by saying from WWII and later time period.

What Medal of Honor recipient has the least number of ribbons officially awarded to him?

I was just looking at a few WWII guys who had four ribbons total. MOH, Purple Heart, a campaign ribbon, and WWII Victory.

That's probably close to the bare minimum a MOH recipient can possibly have, as a purple heart seems to go hand in hand with the MOH most of the time. Maybe there's somebody out there who has the MOH and a campaign ribbon and that's it...now that would be pretty impressive.

I was just looking at a few WWII guys who had four ribbons total. MOH, Purple Heart, a campaign ribbon, and WWII Victory.

That's probably close to the bare minimum a MOH recipient can possibly have, as a purple heart seems to go hand in hand with the MOH most of the time. Maybe there's somebody out there who has the MOH and a campaign ribbon and that's it...now that would be pretty impressive.

WWII and later would have to have at least 3 in every scenario.

Eric Queen

I don't consider a 5 ribbon stack to a first termer modern war vet small, more like average.

Here's an impressive small stack in my opinion, considering this Marine spent an entire 30 year career in the service, as an infantryman, including early Force Recon. Col Modrzejewski. And yes, this is the stack he retired with, minus a PUC. 7 ribbons in 30 years

Outstanding portrait of an incredible Marine. I realize that this most like an original press or command photo but this (in my experience) is mostly what you see in MOH portraits. I wonder what others experience is with this. I have seen very, very few original private MOH portraits (of the MOH in wear). In fact, I have never had the chance to buy one.

Again, this, to me, is a stunning image.

green hell

What award does the purple and white diagonally striped ribbon denote on Gen. Armstrong's 'rack'? Thanks

Outstanding portrait of an incredible Marine. I realize that this most like an original press or command photo but this (in my experience) is mostly what you see in MOH portraits. I wonder what others experience is with this. I have seen very, very few original private MOH portraits (of the MOH in wear). In fact, I have never had the chance to buy one.

Again, this, to me, is a stunning image.

Unfortunately, that is indeed his official portrait, used everywhere by the Marine Corps and CMOHS...I do not own a copy, though I imagine press copies are out there of it

General Louis Wilson CMC wore only a few ribbons when he stopped by MCRD San Diego when I was in Boot Camp

post-248-0-77320700-1465247808.jpg

post-248-0-99915400-1465247834.jpg

What award does the purple and white diagonally striped ribbon denote on Gen. Armstrong's 'rack'? Thanks

British DFC.

Here is Nimitz in his dress uniform and NO ribbons.

Chester-W.-Nimitz-militarymuseum.org_.jp

No need to wear ribbons when you have that many stars on your collar.

Kurt

firefighter

No need to wear ribbons when you have that many stars on your collar.

Kurt

LOL!! True story

Interesting thing about the pic is that he's not even wearing his DOLPHINS.

So here is a semi-related question...

I am not asking what they normally wore, but what they were entitled to wear.

Let's make it a bit easier by saying from WWII and later time period.

Simply as a contrast your question, a Civil War or Indian War MoH veteran, if he lived long enough to receive campaign medals and wear ribbon bars, would have two ribbons.

When I was stationed at Heidelberg, Germany in the late 1960s the USAREUR CG, James Polk, let it be known he did not like seeing ribbon racks on uniforms. He apparently thought they were pretentious. So, you had a lot of GIs, many still WWII and Korea vets, EM and officer, who showed up for work with nary a ribbon on their blouse. It was a great relief for me not to have to try and center my proudly earned NDSM every day!!!

When I was stationed at Heidelberg, Germany in the late 1960s the USAREUR CG, James Polk, let it be known he did not like seeing ribbon racks on uniforms. He apparently thought they were pretentious. So, you had a lot of GIs, many still WWII and Korea vets, EM and officer, who showed up for work with nary a ribbon on their blouse. It was a great relief for me not to have to try and center my proudly earned NDSM every day!!!

sounds like my kind of guy...ribbons are good for getting stuck in the chest strap of a seatbelt, and you're always afraid of ripping a star off. I hate wearing them

• 3 weeks later...