Smallest yet most impressive ribbon bars

turko

We all love pictures of uniforms with gigantic ribbon bars, but what about small ribbon bars that are still impressive? I think one of the most ridiculous ones I've seen is Jessica Lynch's. Five ribbons on her uniform, and three of them are the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and POW. (She also rates the GWOT Expeditionary, but for whatever reason she's not wearing it here).

jessica-lynch.jpg

I'm sure there are crazier ribbon bars out there... I know I've seen a few that are 5 or 6 ribbons big, and one of them is the Medal of Honor. What are some of your favorites?

uniformcollector

Iven Kincheloe (the first spaceman and double ace) chose to only wear these two ribbons:

post-104949-0-37726800-1464893342.jpg

I don't consider a 5 ribbon stack to a first termer modern war vet small, more like average.

Here's an impressive small stack in my opinion, considering this Marine spent an entire 30 year career in the service, as an infantryman, including early Force Recon. Col Modrzejewski. And yes, this is the stack he retired with, minus a PUC. 7 ribbons in 30 years

800px-Modrzejewski_RJ.jpg

everforward

To me, this one is pretty impressive. Tech Sgt. Frank Peregory, 116th IR, 29th ID.

post-8237-0-09493100-1464896595.jpg

Here's an impressive small stack in my opinion, considering this Marine spent an entire 30 year career in the service, as an infantryman, including early Force Recon. Col Modrzejewski. And yes, this is the stack he retired with, minus a PUC. 7 ribbons in 30 years

Here's his uniform. Minis are modern replacements, minus the MOH, which is a color photo cutout and mounted on cardboard

IMG_8073.JPG

We all love pictures of uniforms with gigantic ribbon bars, but what about small ribbon bars that are still impressive? I think one of the most ridiculous ones I've seen is Jessica Lynch's. Five ribbons on her uniform, and three of them are the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and POW. (She also rates the GWOT Expeditionary, but for whatever reason she's not wearing it here).

jessica-lynch.jpg

I'm sure there are crazier ribbon bars out there... I know I've seen a few that are 5 or 6 ribbons big, and one of them is the Medal of Honor. What are some of your favorites?

What's "ridiculous" about her ribbons?

everforward

What a beautiful uniform! Is that one in a museum or a private collection?

His uniform was a gift from the family to the 116th Infantry Rgt. Foundation and Museum.

Peregory was KIA on 14 June 1944, but was awarded the MOH for actions against the enemy on 8 June 1944 in Normandy...so still posthumous but technically maybe not.

The Soldiers Medal was awarded in the summer of 1941 while the 29th was participating in the Carolina Maneuvers...he saved a fellow soldier from drowning.

Just the combination of what they are, from a modern war veteran standpoint.

4STARCHRIS

Here's his uniform. Minis are modern replacements, minus the MOH, which is a color photo cutout and mounted on cardboard

I remember when I had this in my collection. I meet him on several occasions and displayed his uniform for him at several events. Very nice guy.

4starchris

I remember when I had this in my collection. I meet him on several occasions and displayed his uniform for him at several events. Very nice guy.

4starchris

I'm seen him at a speaking engagement or two on base, never got to sit down with him, he always gets swarmed by officers at the end

Don't worry, it's being well cared for!

Let's avoid going down the Jessica Lynch rabbit hole, we all know that the views of that incident are across the entirety of the spectrum

The word "ridiculous" has become a watered down term, like "these waffles are ridiculously good". I don't think he meant the combo was ridiculous by the Webster sense of the term

Let's avoid going down the Jessica Lynch rabbit hole, we all know that the views of that incident are across the entirety of the spectrum

The word "ridiculous" has become a watered down term, like "these waffles are ridiculously good". I don't think he meant the combo was ridiculous by the Webster sense of the term

Sorry, folks, I guess I'm a young whippersnapper around here with my use of slang.... You are correct, Brig. I wasn't trying to make a political statement at all with my choice of words. I am just saying that seeing that combination of awards on a PFC modern war vet is very rare and impressive.

Sorry, folks, I guess I'm a young whippersnapper around here with my use of slang.... You are correct, Brig. I wasn't trying to make a political statement at all with my choice of words. I am just saying that seeing that combination of awards on a PFC modern war vet is very rare and impressive.

I got it...Im not young either ;):D

Like using the word "sick" it has a whole different meaning.

Some really great (sick) uniforms and bars here.

I got it...Im not young either ;):D

Like using the word "sick" it has a whole different meaning.

Some really great (sick) uniforms and bars here.

Funny..I thought they were "ballin" B)

firefighter

Iven Kincheloe (the first spaceman and double ace) chose to only wear these two ribbons:

attachicon.gifIMG_1491.JPG

He also received Air Medals and LOM.But it like he only wanted to wear the 2, Silver Star when he became an ACE & his DFC.Plus his service medals

In 1950-51 he served with the 4th and 51st Fighter Wings in Korea, flying 101 combat missions in F-86 Sabrejets and 30 in F-80 Shooting Stars. He shot down ten communist planes, being one of 12 Air Force pilots with ten or more jet victories to his credit during that war. He earned the Silver Star, three Distinguished Flying Crosses and four Air Medals.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/kinchel.htm

CNY Militaria

Lt. General Frank Armstrong had this as one of his uniform bars.

General Armstrong personally led first and last heavy bomber raids of World War II. The first raid was over Rouen-Sotteville, France. The last raid was over Honshu, Japan. He also led his group over Wilhelmshaven in the first heavy bomber raid over Germany proper. Brigadier General Frank Savage from the movie "Twelve O'Clock High was based on the persona and service of Lieutenant General Armstrong.

ee3b9d_ee0b1743d38a4227b02f36124401a7c8.png

CHASEUSA11B

I agree on Jessica Lynch's ribbons (with no comment on her or her story)

While it is average size for a modern soldier it is impressive for what the ribbons are.

A Bronze Star, Purple Heart and POW ribbon on the same rack-take those away and she only has two left! Most soldiers who have deployed have five ribbons of just blanket awards.

firefighter

Lt. General Frank Armstrong had this as one of his uniform bars.

General Armstrong personally led first and last heavy bomber raids of World War II. The first raid was over Rouen-Sotteville, France. The last raid was over Honshu, Japan. He also led his group over Wilhelmshaven in the first heavy bomber raid over Germany proper. Brigadier General Frank Savage from the movie "Twelve O'Clock High was based on the persona and service of Lieutenant General Armstrong.

Justin that is awesome.

Probably the "king of understated" was Ike. Anyone who's been to his museum knows he had a room full of awards...but often wore just two: his DSM and LOM.

6-3-2016 1-09-20 PM.jpg