Multicam ACH advice

juodonnell2012

juodonnell2012

Hello everyone. Here are some photos of my personal Multicam ACH helmet. It hasn't been cleaned or taken apart yet. It is still covered in dirt, grease, and oil. I'd say it's pretty salty. I came here to ask some advice. My RFI turn in date is coming up soon and i am on the fence about keeping it or turning it in. My question is does anyone see these becoming collectable at all like ww2- vietnam helmets? Although i do have some modern helmet, for me modern stuff doesn't have such a huge interest to me like steel helmets do. I also don't want to have to pay for another one or take a statement of charges for it. But again i am on the fence because i used it and one day it might be collectable. Any input guys?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mercenary25

Keep it! Buy another from surplus store or ebay for turn in. In fact OEF & OIF stuff is already collectible.

AND DON'T WASH IT.... Unlike to WWII collectors, Ox2 collectors like myself like to buy salty stuff as if they just came back from the sandbox.

Fully concur with Mercenary25. On the collector side your helmet is highly collectible with all the bells and whistles (patches, SureFire, named, etc.). On the personnel side there are a few things I regret turning in or dropping off at Goodwill after I retired. I'm afraid you would feel the same way if you turn it in.

I kept all of my 782 gear I was issued including my helmet and flak jacket. At the time I had little interest in it since it was "modern gear" but trust me, 5 years later you'll appreciate all of it and wish you kept more.

All of my 782 gear was stolen when thieves broke into a locked container. I have since replaced all of it (again) and am still hoping one day my original gear turns up somewhere. If I could chose to get just one thing back it would be my helmet. It's in every picture I ever took of myself and when with me everywhere. Since most guys now days don't keep their stuff and gear gets recycled for the next guy or DRMOed out, decades later our gear and groupings will be really rare and our kids will be glad we kept it.

Hunter Whittaker

Like everyone else said I would leave it as is these helmets are very collectible when they are left in the condition yours is in. I have quite a few salty ach' in my collection

I would definitely keep it if it was mine - in fact, I did keep mine! But if you don't want to pay for it I'll be happy to send you one for turn-in and pay your postage to send it to me. I don't have an original multicam helmet set in my collection.

By all means keep it, do not clean it, and try to protect it (in a box, helmet display case, etc.). You will NOT regret keeping it. I'd further recommend avoiding the temptation to ever sell it. There are only a few durable reminders of one's service and a helmet is perhaps the best.

Like the others have said, find a replacement and keep your own helmet. I have talked to many veterans who have truly regretted turning their personal helmet back in.

I would keep it along with a combat worn uniform and boots.Put it away for your kids or show and tell when your sitting in the rocking chair.

Put a copy of your discharge in with it and any other interesting bits. You will be happy you did.

I agree with what the others have said. Keep it in a box for the future...OOORRR box it up and send it to me, I will hang on to it for you :dry: This is me being a smarty boots. Yes do keep it for your kids. I am the youngest of seven and all my Dad's stuff is pretty much gone.

juodonnell2012

Thanks for the advice gents! I really appreciate it. I plan on keeping this a set of multicams, a set of combat pants and combat shirt. As well assome other smaller personal items with sentimental value.

I'm late getting in the party here, but I'd keep it if I could. One of my prized possessions is my Dad's M1917A1 he sent home when he was issued his M1. Besides that, as a very young collector, I passed up on chances to pick up Viet Nam era stuff when it was all over the place. Goodness knows what it would be worth today. I'm guessing the same will happen with more modern stuff in the future.

Mikie

Even if you are not sure now, think a head 5 years to when you really wish you had kept it... It is after all unique in the most personal way.

Go on Ebay, spend $150 on another helmet and turn that one in...

juodonnell2012

Thanks for all the advice guys youve convinced me too keep it ill post some pics of everything ive kept or have left over after turn in

Sent from my SM-J500N0 using Tapatalk