Silver Star uniforms

tke507

I love silver star uniform groups. I have a 104th Infantry Division Silver Star uniform group and a 4th Armored Division 51st Armored Infantry Regiment Silver star uniform group. What silver star uniform groups do you have?

Brad

I once owned an officer jacket to a Marine officer who earned his SSM on Iwo, but sold it to a forum member

Here are the three I own currently. Thomas Ridge, the BnCo of 3/1 in Korea under Chesty Puller; Justice Chambers, recipient also of the MOH on Iwo Jima, and John Burg, Paramarine and Iwo vet, earned his SSM during the Koiari Raid on Bougainville

ss.jpg

Here are some of mine I currently have....Major Edward Stamford for his actions at Chosin, Gen. Paul Fontana mess dress (Navy Cross as well for Guadalcanal), Lt Alexander Santilli KIA at Saipan, Brig. Gen. Donald Yost (two silver stars), Tolson Smoak at Iwo Jima which I need to restore,(he was also a paramarine before joining the 5th Div.) Presley Rixey 2nd Div. Tarawa

post-5081-0-23867000-1464820349.jpg

post-5081-0-58988600-1464820539.jpg

post-5081-0-07400200-1464820572.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Captainofthe7th

Well, I haven't shared too much in awhile and I also love Silver Star uniforms, so I'd like to contribute!

My favorite, I suppose, is Colonel William R. Reilly. He received his Silver Star from Gen. Almond on the second day of the Chosin reservoir entrapment, but the citation is actually for events earlier in the month at the Fusen reservoir, I think on November 8. I just think it's unusual that the citation is written up for those events as I believe the award was intended for action at the Chosin.

post-3190-0-49562700-1466361848.jpg

Here's another good one. Major Joseph F. Shankle was a Lieutenant when he received his Silver Star in May 1951 as a forward observer with the 35th Infantry. He was attached from the 64th FA Bn. This uniform is a reconstruction, but I had most of the other parts in the group including a nice bullion 25th Div patch that you can't see in the photo.

post-3190-0-37712000-1466362009.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

And two good Marines. The first is Sergeant Robert R. Gomez...as a PFC he was with C Co. 7th Marines on the road to Uijongbu on October 2 when he distinguished himself. What's unusual about this one is that his citation is dated September 20, 1950, but the 7th Marines had just made it to Inchon on that day. Since his casualty information dates to October 2, and that's written up in the citation, I think that's when the award is really from.

post-3190-0-92374700-1466362298.jpg

The second Marine I must keep private at the request of the veteran. But I can say he received his Silver Star during the battle at Yudam-ni on the west side of the Chosin. With H Co., 5th Marines, he covered the evacuation of casualties with a tank mounted .50 cal until he was forced into evacuation due to a leg wound.

post-3190-0-54620500-1466362457.jpg

Enjoy!

Rob

Original 1st Ranger Bn member who came from the 34th Division.After North Africa he was assigned to the 3rd Ranger as a senior NCO when the 3rd and 4h were organized.Captured at Cisterna.

post-342-1211864381.jpg

Brothers in Arms.....

post-342-1211946024.jpg

Captainofthe7th

NICE!! Ron, that's a stellar uniform, with the photo, too...wow!

When are we going to have a drooling smiley icon? I need it.

Rob

Ron -

That is one terrific uniform - I have seen it before but it never gets old! Amazing that he places his GCM ABOVE both his PH and his SS!!!!!

The rest of the uniforms are great too - really like those KW uniforms - don't see enough of those on here.

Very best to all -

Bill K.

This is one I have to a Marine who was awarded his SS on Iwo Jima, as well as his second Purple Heart

post-162719-0-66915900-1466421435.jpg

post-162719-0-75833300-1466421447.jpg

Corpsman_1941

This is one I have to a Marine who was awarded his SS on Iwo Jima, as well as his second Purple Heart

This one looks amazing! Any info about his unit?

This one looks amazing! Any info about his unit?

Hi, this was the info I got with the uniform, hope it helps.

post-162719-0-02472400-1466501505.jpg

post-162719-0-44218500-1466501892.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Hi, this was the info I got with the uniform, hope it helps.

Amazing coincidence. I have letters from a member of F-2-25 KIA on Iwo on 2-23-45. Have to wonder if he was DOW and this Marine named Coogan rendered aid to him...

~VFG

Amazing coincidence. I have letters from a member of F-2-25 KIA on Iwo on 2-23-45. Have to wonder if he was DOW and this Marine named Coogan rendered aid to him...

~VFG

Could be VFG, though I like to think that the Marine he aided survived.

ViewfinderGyrene

Could be VFG, though I like to think that the Marine he aided survived.

Yes of course, would be interesting to find out somehow if the wounded Marine was ever identified...

Well, I haven't shared too much in awhile and I also love Silver Star uniforms, so I'd like to contribute!

My favorite, I suppose, is Colonel William R. Reilly. He received his Silver Star from Gen. Almond on the second day of the Chosin reservoir entrapment, but the citation is actually for events earlier in the month at the Fusen reservoir, I think on November 8. I just think it's unusual that the citation is written up for those events as I believe the award was intended for action at the Chosin.

attachicon.gifReilly_U00 copy.jpg

Here's another good one. Major Joseph F. Shankle was a Lieutenant when he received his Silver Star in May 1951 as a forward observer with the 35th Infantry. He was attached from the 64th FA Bn. This uniform is a reconstruction, but I had most of the other parts in the group including a nice bullion 25th Div patch that you can't see in the photo.

attachicon.gifShankle_U00 copy.jpg

Rob

Outstanding uniforms. Do you know anything about Col. Reilly's WWII service. It is unusual to see an infantryman with campaign stars on both the Asiatic-Pacific and European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign ribbons.

Captainofthe7th

Outstanding uniforms. Do you know anything about Col. Reilly's WWII service. It is unusual to see an infantryman with campaign stars on both the Asiatic-Pacific and European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign ribbons.

Thanks buddy, and thanks for asking. I've learned quite a bit about Colonel Reilly and i actually just got in touch with his sons the other night after researching him for two years. Don't know why I didn't call earlier... Anyway, I'm currently writing about him to add to the website and i'm not quite sure the best way to approach it as I have 16 pages and growing, including dialogue and everything. It's really fantastic to have found everything.

Anyway, Bill Reilly was with the 3d Battalion, 4th infantry in the Aleutians beginning in January 1942. The 1st battalion, I think, was at the sharp end of things, and Bill stayed with the 3d to handle logistics and other sorts of defensive issues. There was some reconnaissance, but I don't know must more than that. He returned to the U.S. in July 1943.

Almost a year later, he joined the 87th Division's 346th Infantry Regiment as CO and/or XO (depending on the day, I guess) of the 3d Battalion. I think December 11, 1944 was the first day of combat for the regiment near Gros-Rederching near the German border. They fought hard for a couple days before being rushed to Belgium to combat the Ardennes offensive and they fought for the next month. He received the Bronze Star on December 30, became battalion commander after the CO was wounded, and then was captured by the Germans and held at Oflag XIII-B.

He was there for a couple months when on one evening he had latrine duty, and as the sun set, jumped in and waited. He escaped under cover of darkness on April 28, 1945.

He came home and attended Fork Union Military Academy before going to Japan...

And there's so much more to tell!!

Thanks,

Rob

Okay I snapped some photos of this impressive grouping. Have his Extract for the Silver Star and Paperwork for one of his Purple Hearts. The documents look like they could be signed by General Swift as they are both slightly different.

Mike

post-1387-0-46526400-1466728398.jpg

post-1387-0-08168300-1466728409.jpg

post-1387-0-40223800-1466728420.jpg

post-1387-0-36395000-1466728432.jpg