D-Day M1 from Utah Beach

Ronnie

Great story and collection. You were obviously destined to be its custodian! Wonder about the absence of a "follow me" stripe on the helmet? Any thoughts? Bobgee

I (personally)think more helmets were with out than with the stripe.

Also possible the vet may have lost his other or was damaged and found another

• 2 weeks later...

Just read it as well. Fantastic story and collection! Better all together than in multiple collections.

Andrew

• 5 months later...

post-154824-0-11272600-1539818092.jpgI wanted to bring this back to the top and give an update. Ronnie was gracious enough to sell this group to me. I am extremely thankful to put such a wonderful group in my 4th Division collection. After I received the group in the mail, I studied the helmet and it turns out that the A washers are actually green painted, not black. He also told me that the sweat band was added by him for the purposes of the pictures, so the lack of age and "use" on the sweat band makes sense. Could the fact that the A washers are green make the helmet and liner right for being at Normandy? Again, theres no way of knowing if this is for sure the helmet that LT. Riser wore in Europe, but this might shed light. I have also sent off for his records, as soon as I get them in I will update this post.