TBX-6 Radio

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

I just picked this up the other day for an amazing price. I couldn't pass it up! It is a very clean TBX-6 radio that works. It came with a bag and power supply/cable. I am looking for a geiger counter to check if it has radioactive radium paint on the face. I used a UV light but nothing was glowing. Maybe I got lucky to find one that is not radioactive!? The paint is very very white. Does not have that dingy yellow/brown tint to it like radium paint has.

I am now looking for a TBX key, antenna section, accessories box and hand crank generator.

post-131595-0-13615400-1464723574.jpg

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

sweet find, from what little i have been able to find out about the radium paint from that era, unless you're gonna be licking the face, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Hue Miller

Many years back I radiacked the TBX-8 and it was HOT HOT HOT. This radio is more hot than the TBY. Some have suggested spraying the front panel

with a clear sealant but I think this a poor idea with unknown longterm results. I think the best advice is to not keep it next to you for long periods and maybe only dry wipe the front if you have to clean it.

I don't think the -7 was actually built and I think the -6 is the last with the white meters, not blackface meters. If you look at 'Codetalker' and other WW2 Navy photos of TBX in action, you only see the whiteface meter models.

I suspect even the tuning thumbwheels have radium paint numbers. But it's still a very nice radio.

stealthytyler

Many years back I radiacked the TBX-8 and it was HOT HOT HOT. This radio is more hot than the TBY. Some have suggested spraying the front panel

with a clear sealant but I think this a poor idea with unknown longterm results. I think the best advice is to not keep it next to you for long periods and maybe only dry wipe the front if you have to clean it.

I don't think the -7 was actually built and I think the -6 is the last with the white meters, not blackface meters. If you look at 'Codetalker' and other WW2 Navy photos of TBX in action, you only see the whiteface meter models.

I suspect even the tuning thumbwheels have radium paint numbers. But it's still a very nice radio.

I bought a $10 UV flashlight. Nothing on this radio glowed when I shined the UV on it. I tested the light on a 1940s clock my father has and the radium paint (which no longer glows in the dark) lit up once I shined it. Does this mean that my TBX6 has no radium? I do not own a geiger counter... they are not cheap!

stealthytyler

If anyone has accessories for the TBX radio for sale, let me know. Im looking for an antenna, key, accessories box and a way to power the transmitter. Thanks!