Japanese Type 38 Rifle bring-back from garage sale...

USdog

Nothing spectacular, but I picked up this Type 38 rifle from the veterans son at a garage sale. I won't post the name, but the vet served in the Navy as a 40mm gun loader on a small ship designated as the USS LCS(L)(3)-11 where he saw combat at Okinawa. He traded a pair of binoculars for this very rifle while over there and came back with it in '46. Whether it be Okinawa or mainland Japan where he got it, I don't know unfortunately.

post-93633-0-81207400-1464704863.jpg

Thanks guys. He did have the bayonet but has since lost track of it in his house. I left my number. Hopefully he is able to find it.

manayunkman

With an unground MUM I would think that this piece came from a battle zone.

Nice catch.

With an unground MUM I would think that this piece came from a battle zone.

Nice catch.

You might be right. I looked into that more after you said that and this is what I found. I guess that would make it more likely that it came off Okinawa.

"All rifle production stopped when Japan surrendered in August 1945. American occupation forces destroyed all production tools. The terms of surrender required the Japanese to disarm their forces and deliver all weapons at times and places prescribed by commanders of the occupation forces. During collection of arms under this directive, the Japanese requested permission from Allied Headquarters to be allowed to remove the imperial Japanese seal from all rifles before they were turned over to occupation forces. Permission was granted and the crests were -around off all surrendered rifles. (Underlining added) The only rifles with the crests intact were those captured in combat zones." (5)

http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/FeatArts/MumMystery/MissingMum.htm

Great rifle! My Dad sent one back from Saipan. It was one of the few of many souvenirs he sent back to actually reach home. He used to grouse about some rear echelon postal inspector vets houses filled with the stuff he picked up and shipped home that never reached my grandparents. I wish I knew what my brother did with it after Dad passed away. Enjoy!

Mikie

bellasilva

Nice find, Connor! I have a Type 99 with an intact mum, found it at a yard sale when I was 14 for $25. The stock is sporterized, but other than that pretty decent condition. Is the bolt complete?

Nice find, Connor! I have a Type 99 with an intact mum, found it at a yard sale when I was 14 for $25. The stock is sporterized, but other than that pretty decent condition. Is the bolt complete?

Sounds cool, Phil. You should get a correct stock for it, would be well worth it I think.

Bolt is complete. It just has the dust cover or whatever they call it still attached.

USCapturephotos

I love the fact that you were able to get a photo of the vet and the name of his vessel with the artifact. That adds so much.

Paul

Thanks all. I made sure to get all of the history on it as I could. The son was kind enough to give me that original photo of his dad and tell me a bit of the history.

suwanneetrader

I also found one complete with dust cover, etc at a WWII Navy Vets yard sale, about 4 or 5 years ago. He said the Japanese had a sub base at Guam and they docked there with their sub. The Skipper let them take turns going ashore in small groups. When he went he said it looked like no one had messed with anything left behind. He said their where 5 or 6 rifles standing in the corner of one of the offices they went in and he got one along with a Japanese small ship bubble compass which I also bought. These type of items are now almost non-existant in Central FL. If you collect WWII bring backs you should keep as will most likely never find another documented one. If you have enough send for or ask a Member to help. If that is an anchor on sling then I think it is probable for Naval Landing Force, but I'm no expert. Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the dust cover was numbered to the rifle, and I heard many Japanese soldiers would remove them because they rattled...so getting a complete rifle is a bonus + the mum......not the easiest to find.