U.S. Army Ponchos, Slickers & Raincoats 1901 to 1919

world war I nerd

• 2 weeks later...
world war I nerd

Aurel, thanks for posting the trench coat from your collection. Because trench coats were likely worn in civilian life after the war, they prove to be one of the more difficult garments for collectors to obtain.

Although anything is possible, I doubt that the coat was camouflaged with black paint. It was probably soiled with paint during storage or worn as a protective garment while painting during the coat's post-war life.

Here the 1918 Raincoat is being worn by 4th Division men as a makeshift bathrobe while en route to the camp's shower.

Photo courtesy of the Rogier Van de Hoeff collection

post-5143-0-31442400-1477889830_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

More Doughboys, this time men of the 91st Division, wearing the 1918 Raincoat circa November 1918.

Photo courtesy of the LA Times

post-5143-0-06659400-1477889960_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this very informative study.

I think Aurel's coat is one with an oilskin lining. The linseed oil usually leaks through to the outer fabric over time. I have an original British made one like that.

world war I nerd

WPG, thanks for taking a look. Interesting about some trenchcoats having an oilskin lining. While researching, I didn't come across any information regarding that type of lining, but there were so many makers, I'm sure that a wide variety of liners were used.

Any chance of posting photos of your oilcloth lined trenchcoat?

• 1 month later...
world war I nerd

Solcarlus, nice 1913 Oiled Pommel Slicker ... a recent find or something you pulled out of storage?

Also is the large patch on the left hand side of the slicker a repair or a second pocket?

Thanks for posting more images of a rare WW I era raincoat.

Bonjour world war I nerd.

Bought it on eBay France. It's good a repair on the left side.This is the first time I see this model of expensive slicker we

solcarlus.

• 1 year later...

I posted this 1908 contract dated poncho in the field gear section.

Here are some more photos:

First is a better photo of the date. I thought it said 1903 when I first looked but it is 1908.

post-192-0-13579900-1529196883_thumb.jpg

The 20 eyelets are reinforced by an inch and a half piece of cloth. The edging is reinforced with a half inch of added cloth.

post-192-0-39412500-1529197030_thumb.jpg

The seam runs down the front and back, not across the shoulders. The flap is closed with one glove type fastener which has no markings.

post-192-0-60040400-1529197085_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Your 1908 Poncho is an amazing find, and in remarkable condition. Thanks for adding it to the thread.

• 1 year later...

While going through a batch of AEF real picture postcards sent to me by forum member Jagjetta, I noticed a group of AEF artilleryment wearing a suit of clothing which I did not recognize.

However, I do believe that these men are wearing the mysterious oilskin suits, mentioned earlier in this post that were issued in France to certain members of the AEF, including artillerymen. I'm pretty sure that these are the suits that made onr artilleryman write, "We looked more like fishermen than sailors."

If not oilskin suits, can anybody ID what these guys are wearing?

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

Hey (from France)

Is it this one ... I've foung it yesterday in Normandy .... :)

post-5714-0-43536400-1570961928_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Murphy82, my best guess is, yes that is an oilskin jacket as used by the AEF ... Nice find!

Other than what I wrote in this topic, I still have not found any additional official information explaining what the oilskin suits that were issued to the US Army and later to the AEF looked like. Therefore, all we have to go by is period photographs, such as this one of a sergeant of the Motor Dispatch Service (MDS) taken in Mayen, Germany in 1919.

According to the May 1918 dated AEF manual "Equipment Manuals for Service in Europe - Series A-No.1: Infantry Regiment", chauffeurs and motorcyclists were to be equipped with, among other things, oilskin breeches and oilskin coats, which is exactly what this motorcyclist is wearing.

post-5143-0-46063800-1570969545_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A closer look at the motorcyclist's oilskin coat.

Keep in mind that there will likely be minor differences found in the individual oilskin coats used by the AEF, because oilskin garments (hats, coats and trousers) were contracted from American firms by the Quartermaster Corps, and from French firms by the AEF's Quartermaster General. So at the very least, there will be a minimum of two different styles or patterns.

post-5143-0-94473400-1570969933_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Another example of an oilskin coat as used by the AEF. This time by the company butcher of an artillery regiment seen on the right side of this photo.

post-5143-0-51944800-1570970056_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Murphy, can you post a close up photo of one of the buttons on your oilskin coat?

Also, are there any markings, stamps or label present on your coat?