U.S. Army Ponchos, Slickers & Raincoats 1901 to 1919

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Photo No. 75: WWI era Trenchcoats were typically made in one of three styles. From left to right: with a “Gun Patch” or “Gun Flap” on the right shoulder; with “Plain Shoulders”; and with “Double Shoulders”

post-5143-0-42303100-1464714377.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 76: In this post Armistice photograph all three pattern Trenchcoats can be seen. From left to right: plain shoulder, two double shoulders side by side, gun patch and yet another double shoulders. Also of interest is how light the color of the center officer’s Trenchcoat is and the “bellows” pockets on the Trenchcoat at far left.

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-97945200-1464714445.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 77: All of these Trenchcoats are of the “Plain Shoulders” variety. It should be mentioned that this style of coat did have shoulder straps on which rank insignia could be placed. The term plain shoulders merely indicate the absence of either the gun patch or the shallow overlapping flaps present on the front of each shoulder.

The skirt on the left hand Trenchcoat has been cut off transforming the garment into a makeshift Mackinaw style of coat. The drawing is from a 1917 dated Burberry advertisement.

First and center-right photos courtesy of the National World War I Museum

Far right hand photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-78209900-1464714600.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 78: Front and back views of a Trenchcoat with a gun patch on the right shoulder. Note that this coat’s buckles have been covered in russet leather. Leather covered buckles are commonly associated with British made Trenchcoats.

Photos courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

post-5143-0-96638100-1464714686.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 79: Four examples of Trenchcoats bearing the gun flap. The gun flap or gun patch was apparently devised for hunters to place the barrel of their hunting rifle or shotgun under in order to keep water out of the muzzle. The drawing at left is from a 1916 dated Burberry’s advertisement. Also of interest is the Raglan style shoulder and the storm cover on the officer’s 1911 Service Cap, both of which can be seen in the center-right photo.

Photos courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-77583500-1464714761.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 80: This Trenchcoat also bearing a gun patch is remarkably similar in style to that of the coat worn by the center-left officer in the preceding group of images. It does differ however, by having only one row of visible buttons. Note the D-rings on the front of the belt from which equipment could be suspended.

post-5143-0-63305200-1464714837.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 81: Four examples of the “Double Shoulder” style of Trenchcoat. Typically vents were located underneath the shallow flaps, whose purpose was to allow moisture to escape from the inside of the coat, and also to allow water to run of the coat and onto the ground, rather than onto the coat.

Right & left hand photos courtesy of the National World War I Museum

Center-right photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-72094600-1464714902.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 82: This double shoulders style Trenchcoat was manufactured by the British firm of Aquascutum. The inset shows the Aquascutum label and the coat’s plaid wool lining. Note also the leather covered buckle, which were indicative of British manufacture, and the D-rings on the reverse of the belt.

post-5143-0-48263200-1464714972.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 83: A fourth and much less common pattern of Trenchcoat is this style which featured large “bellows” or expanding pockets. Some Trenchcoat manufacturers also offered a mounted style of Trenchcoat which incorporated a hidden pocket in which a “saddle pad” could be inserted.

post-5143-0-31689400-1464715052.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 84: These images depict three AEF officers wearing various configurations of equipment over their Trenchcoat.

Left hand photo courtesy of Great War Images.com

Right hand photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-56941800-1464715132.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 85: This final photo of is of Trenchcoat clad American Red Cross workers outside that charitable organizations London headquarters.

post-5143-0-61574700-1464715201.jpg

world war I nerd

1911 Service Cap Storm Cover

Specification number unknown, date adopted by the Army unknown

I’ve opted to include the U.S. Army Storm Cover that was made to fit both the enlisted men’s and officer’ 1911 Service Cap because it is well … a rain garment of sorts. At the time of posting I could find no mention of the Storm Cover in any period publication. Although I’ve always believed that the Storm Cover was a regulation article of the uniform, I have no proof to back up that assertion. Therefore, I could very well be wrong. It may be that the Storm Cover was in fact, a commercially made item that was privately purchased by officers and enlisted men.

Photo No. 86: Three examples (one a reconstruction) of the most common pattern and presumed regulation Storm Cover. This type of cover was made from waterproofed cotton sheeting much like that used to fabricate the regulation poncho. It was olive drab in color and held in place by means of an elastic band sewn inside the Storm Cover’s opening. Most of the Storm Covers have been on officers service caps, but I’ve also seen a few being worn on enlisted men’s caps.

Right hand photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-77485300-1464715355.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 87: Several images showing both what I presume to be regulation and non-regulation Storm Covers. At left is an enlarged November 1916 Burberry’s ad depicting a rain cap-cover with a Havelock to protect the wearer’s neck and ears, and an unusual, short rain cape that covered only the wearer’s shoulders. At right from top to bottom is a presumed regulation Storm Cover and two examples of commercially made storm covers, one which was secured on the side by two snap fasteners and another which was secured on the back also by two snap fasteners.

Center-right photo courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

Lower right photo courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

post-5143-0-70978200-1464715422.jpg

world war I nerd

I just realized that I somehow neglected to post Photo No. 30 and its caption! My apologies for the mix up … anyway, better out of order than not at all. Here it is …

Photo No. 30: Third … Oilskin suits were worn as protection against poisonous gas. The French, British and American Armies all believed that oilskin garments had properties that would protect the wearer from the caustic effect of mustard gas. In fact, all three armies devised and issued special anti-gas suits and smocks made from oiled fabric to troops that had to remain active during a gas attack, and to the men who were detailed to handle gas shells.

The following diary entry written by an artilleryman in the 2nd Division suggests that the protective apparel he wore on July 1, 1918 when his battery was ordered to fire 250 gas shells during the battle for Vaux, may have been U.S. or French manufactured oilskin clothing:

The Germans were entrenched in deep dugouts at Vaux. We were to start firing gas shells at 6:00 A.M. At 5:00 A.M. – daybreak, we were up and ready to fire. Each gun had to give two hundred and fifty rounds of gas shell. It was some kind of liquid gas: when you shook a shell the gas inside would make a noise as though it was full of water. However it was exceptionally strong as we were allowed only 25 shells at the gun at one time. All of us had to wear oilskin pants and coats, also hot rubber gloves* and our gas masks at alert. We looked more like fishermen than soldiers. At 6:00 A.M. we started firing. It surely turned out to be a hot day, especially with the extra uniform on. Those not needed to fire the guns were busy handling shells. The heat and smoke were awful.

Private John A. Hughes, Battery C, 15th Artillery Regiment, 2nd Division, AEF

* I’m relatively certain that the “hot rubber gloves” Private Hughes wore were special “Gas Mittens” designed by the Chemical Service and made from heavy cotton sheeting that had been impregnated with linseed oil.

This well known photo depicts a French 75mm field gun in action. Note that the right hand artilleryman is wearing a raincoat. The insets show two sides of an American made 75mm gas shell, much like the type that Private Hughes fired in 1918.

post-5143-0-88664200-1464716104.jpg

World War One Nerd thank you for another great topic!

It is most appreciated the work and time you put in to create such informative high standard topics, putting the information out there for all to learn.

The topic itself is very good, just seeing everything together in chronological order along with the specs (where available or applicable) and illustrated with surviving and period examples is superb. Glad all is covered from poncho's to cap storm covers, I have found it most informative as I am sure many others will.

Thanks again

Kurt

scmcgeorge

Middle guy in image #85 has added officer sleeve braid (Gallions) to his trenchcoat. Only the second time I have ever seen this done. Steve McG

scmcgeorge

RE: Officers Trench coats

An Excerpt from GHQ AEF inspection results for inspection of 1st Division conducted Jan. 31- Feb 9 1919, Section XV. Supplies:

" There is a great need of officer's uniforms and officer's overcoats. In regard to the latter, most of the officers have only a trench coat, which is the one that has served them throughout their entire campaign from September 1918 to the present date. These are unsightly and do not allow their owners to present the appearance expected of an officer."

Hey Brian,

Great thread and every one you do excites me more about being a WWI collector! The photos are great but the research you assemble is rare and unusual to see even partially in any other place. Thanks for all the work you do on our shared hobby and interest.

Incidentally, I've read Nason's books over and over again and they are excellent- including The Man in the White Slicker. The vernacular and personal accounts recreate the doughboy's experiences remarkably!

• 1 month later...
world war I nerd

While going through a batch of AEF real picture postcards sent to me by forum member Jagjetta, I noticed a group of AEF artilleryment wearing a suit of clothing which I did not recognize.

However, I do believe that these men are wearing the mysterious oilskin suits, mentioned earlier in this post that were issued in France to certain members of the AEF, including artillerymen. I'm pretty sure that these are the suits that made onr artilleryman write, "We looked more like fishermen than sailors."

If not oilskin suits, can anybody ID what these guys are wearing?

post-5143-0-12102900-1469168965.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to reading this one all the way through.

Excellent as always! Your last photo is very interesting, I've never seen a coat quite like the ones the artillery men are sporting.