Marine Raider dagger - looks real

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I've never handled one of these before (nor paid much attention to them) and when I saw the USMC etched on the blade I swore that meant it was fake. I've seen so many fake and/or modern made FS style knives that and had never seen a US issue knife with fancy engraving on it (the kind usually saved for ceremonial swords). But I liked the scabbard.

After buying it I found out the real ones were in fact etched like that, so now I wonder, is it real?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Yes the handle is in unusually good shape, but doesn't resemble the Camillus remakes done more recently. Great piece.

I'll chime in too...Real and with the USMC panel wich is often wore off as they were not etched very deep.

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

Nice find. I have about ten of these and have handled a bunch more. Looks like a good one !

Kurt Barickman

At the risk of sounding like the last guy at the event, it is indeed a real Raider Stiletto and the engraving and handle have endured well! Congrats Bob!

Kurt

Bob Hudson

Yes, you can tell by the corrosion. They usually look worse than that. That's a beauty.

I saw one of these a while back and I seem to recall that the handle was crumbling (or was it some other Fairborn–Sykes variation which did that?). The condition of this handle and the blade made me think, no way it's real.

RustyCanteen

Bob, I'll never get tired of seeing the cool things you find. Most people would be happy just to get a patch at a yardsale or something, but you set the bar too high for most of us. :D

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

You are correct Bob. Many of these suffer from ionic leaching in the handles. Most are cracked or crumbling. You will from time time find one that has no handle issues. The etching on the blade is usually gone or at best very faint. The tip of the stiletto is usually bent or broken.

Bob Hudson

It has been an unusual week for vintage USMC (from differing sources). This is some of it:

10.jpg

Bob Hudson

You are correct Bob. Many of these suffer from ionic leaching in the handles. Most are cracked or crumbling.

This has a couple of small patches that look like this, nothing major.

11.jpg