Luxenberg of NY, NY: examples and patterns

Thanks, firefighter!

As far as I know there are at least three patterns, but with some variations within the second pattern.

The design of the second pattern is a little bit less outspoken i.e. the design of the feathers is a little more subtle.

There are several threads which discuss the second pattern, e.g.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/184213-luxenberg-bomber-any-good-or-bad/?hl=luxenberg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/184290-luxenberg-2nd-pattern-bomber/?hl=luxenberg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/163227-fake-luxie-bombardier/?hl=luxenberg&do=findComment&comment=1235951

Thank you.I will check them out.

Very nice pick up! This is one of those patterns you just have to add to you collection since they stand out so much when compared to the typical graduation wings... Hence the typically high prices.

Congratz!

Thanks John!

And you are right in every way. ;)

• 9 months later...

Nice second pattern Luxenberg! That's my favorite since it was made by Blackinton and that's the Blackinton pattern. I actually like this pattern more than the first pattern Lux. It's always amazing to see the difference between these wings and a typical set of graduation wings. Both are beautiful in their own way but the Blackinton pattern stuff is just stunning in person. Congrats and give the dog a treat. He's earned it.

I've always thought the second pattern (Blackington) is the best looking also Bob.This particular set has a golden tarnished highlight with a dark almost blackness in the recesses that make it really pop out.The pictures really do not do it justice.At some point I need to spend some wing money on a camera.But not yet. Thanks to all for your comments ,Cody is one of 3 goldens we have,and the tub is where he likes to sleep. Thanks to All Again Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Steve Brannan

I wanted to post my Luxenberg full size Navigator wings in the box. The pin only opens to about 45 degrees. The box is not in great shape but the wings are.

post-1848-0-62395000-1412550388.jpg

post-1848-0-68199400-1412550409.jpg

post-1848-0-66886200-1412550431.jpg

post-1848-0-01495900-1412550457.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
rustywings

Navybean is correct. The Pilot wings you've illustrated are "AECo" (American Emblem Company) hallmarked and appear to be an authentic WWII era made Pilot badge...

rustywings

Hey XLIV, you're not far from being spot-on when you consider the American Emblem Company did indeed produce this exact same pattern under contract with a Luxenberg hallmark, which is considered Luxenberg pattern #3 by most wing collectors...

rustywings

I have admit I'm pretty new to these..appreciate all the wisdom offered..

Hello XLIV,

Just to reinforce your grip on these Luxenberg hallmarked wings, let me share my prospective... then maybe some of our more in-tune members will fill in the gaps.

I understand the Luxenberg Company actually produced very little of what they sold. Instead, they contracted with other existing companies to make their items, hence the similarities in some patterns.

I don't believe anyone is certain who actually made Luxenberg's iconic first pattern wing early in WWII? But most collectors concur that the Blackinton Co. used their existing feather pattern under contract to produce Luxenberg's second batch of wings during the mid-war period. Then contracted with the American Emblem Company to manufacture their third run of wings late in the war.

Here's an image of the three Luxenberg patterns for comparison.

photo (1).JPG

rustywings

Now focusing on the Luxenberg third pattern, the American Emblem Co. (AECO) used their existing pattern, but added the Luxenberg hallmark to the reverse.

For comparison, look at the similarities at an example of a Luxenberg clutch-back (top); a Luxenberg pin-back (middle); and an original AECO pin-back (bottom):

AECO.jpg

rustywings

And one other thing, AECO had at least four different hallmarks of their own, maybe more...

Very good info and thanks for pics. Are there date blocks associated with each of the AECO hallmarks or were they random in the 3rd variation?

Thanks again and have a safe Memorial Day